stuck valve tool

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Sanderson Man, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have seen people pack so much stuff in their case that they are actually putting stress on their horn. sounds like you either have something bouncing around in your case or you have to much stuff crammed in your case. I hope you aren't using a gig bag. good luck on figuring out how your valves are getting messed up. I know of cases where someone put to much stuff in their case and it was pushing on the second valve slide and causing valve problems.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I use a Torpedo and can bounce as much as I like. It is expensive but trouble free. Additional benefit: You can put only the trumpet in the bag. Nothing else. That what the strap pouches are made for. Downside: Can't put Arban or any other big trumpet book in the music pouch.

3. repairguy

repairguy New Friend

Sep 8, 2009
    Kennesaw, Georgia.
    Valve work should be left to those who know what they are doing. That does not always include other repair technicians. Often the second slide gets pushed into the casing and causes a bind. Or the slightest dent can cause problems.

Remember you are dealing with remarkably close tolerances. Once you over-expand the casing, you have the start of a really cool lamp.

I would suggest you take it to a reputable shop to rectify the problem. A good technician will ask questions and look the horn over to accurately diagnose the problem. There are a number of ways to repair a piston, just as there are a number of ways to destroy one.

Best of luck.
    Kevin

trumpetnick likes this.