Student cant get a sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cornetguy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    What is her instrument?

ML

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

4. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Is she trying to get a degree to teach band/orchestra or is she going to become a choir teacher?

ML

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Since telling her to buzz doesn't seem to be working, try having her wet her lips, hold them lightly together (like saying "Hymn"), put the mouthpiece on her lips (don't let her readjust anything) and tell her just to blow air through the mouthpiece. This might relax her enough to start the lips vibrating. I think some non-trumpet players think that we really force the lips together to make the sound.

Good luck!

Jason.

7. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    vocal/general and music therapy, but the vocal folks are required to take these classes too, as the instrumental folks are required to take the vocal/general music classes (state requirements for licensure)

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bring in the absolute largest mouthpiece you might have in your collection and lend it to her for a bit. See if that helps her create a sound. Don't introduce it with any great fanfare. Just say "Here, I want to you to play on this for a while". Make HER sing a low concert Bb several times and have her play it directly afterwards.

Sorry I didn't take better note of your earliest post about her. You stated clearly she was a vocalist and I missed it.

ML

9. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    If none of the above works then tell her to quit the trumpet. The instrument obviously isnt for her if she at least doesnt have an aptitude for it. I was making great student tones the first time I picked up my horn.

My Aunt tried to get me into piano, and no matter how hard she tried, I couldnt get it. Some instruments arent for some people. May sound cold but thats life :cool:

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

So Rick,

You have a kid that is 10-years-old. She wants to learn music and all her life she has wanted to play trumpet when she gets old enough to be in band. She has a hard time playing for the first several weeks. When do you tell this young aspiring musician that she can't play the trumpet? What if she says that she doesn't want to be in the band if she can't play the instrument of her choice? She is a great kid, understands all the theory you are teaching, can count as well as any student you have ever taught and can sing on pitch (meaning she has a good ear). Please tell me when you tell her; "Sorry kid, you can't play the trumpet. That's life."?

I have worked with students for weeks, even months trying to get them to make a decent sound. Several years ago, a young student of mine named Michelle M. wanted to play trumpet. It didn't work for her for the first year, but she struggled through that year. After the first year I convinced her to try baritone. She did beautifully and made first chair in the district honor band. One day when we were after school working on solos she picked up a friends trumpet announcing that she was the worst trumpet player of all time. She blew into the horn and out came a beautiful sound.

Michelle played in the McDonald's All-American Band when she was a senior, and then went on to major in music at the University of Southern Mississippi --
    ON THE TRUMPET!