Student or Professional trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Mar 11, 2007.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My daughter is a junior in high school and she is getting really good on the trumpet. She is first in the jazz band and orchestra and concert band.

When she started I got her a used Bach student trumpet from WWBW for about 200.00

Recently we have been talking about getting her a new trumpet. She wants to stay on the student horn and I can't figure out why.

I have a Bach 37 ML that she could have or use and she likes the student trumpet better. She has played my Monette and she doesn't like that either. I have played her trumpet and I think it a hunk of junk.

I thought about just getting her a new one but, shouldn't she like it, or try it first?

I think the old trumpet might be holding her back at this point.

Any ideas?

2. Zaraskabat

Zaraskabat Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2007
    Well, a couple things come to mind. Being a parent can be like entering the twilight zone at times, especially during the high school years. Maybe she is hanging on to the familiar (her old horn) because of some sort of insecurity. Maybe a heart to heart with her teacher without her knowing. We can say you should do this, you should do this, you should do this, and it is ignored, but let someone else mention maybe if you had this, and she might come home telling you she should do this.

Good luck Joe, I have 9 kids and each has been a different challenge but one thing is always the same. When you are most confident that they will agree with you about something, they won't and it is hard to understand why they just don't think like you do. She has to realize her horn is holding her back, this is the time in her life she is beginning to try and take more control. You might need to become the copilot?

Ken

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Or perhaps she's talented enough but doesn't want to give you an reason to increase your expectations of her trumpet studies? Sometimes kids are afraid that they'll get "rooked" into continuing with something that they've made a promise on but that they already have an exit strategy for. I'd say that you've sown the seeds of music for her, now it's her decision whether to continue at this point in her life.

I have a son who is in a similar situation with respect to his music... sits 1st in jazz and concert bands but isn't going to continue. He's just been accepted into a Software Engineering program at University and says that he won't have the time for band. I won't push him; he'll come back to music as soon as his life starts crying for it.

4. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I would think that her comfort level is the most important thing. It doesn't sound like the Bach is holding her back... Lots of kids would love to play on a Bach. If she is happy with it--as are her directors (or she wouldn't be sitting first), then let it ride, Red, ride...

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Her teacher in school wants her to get a new trumpet.

I think the idea that it might lock her into something might be it but, She can just use my Strad and she won't

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Joe,

As a fellow dad I'll say let her come to you. When she feels that it's the right time she'll come around but I'd just shrug my shoulders and say "Okay... when you want to upgrade I'll be here to help you out." You know how it is... they want some ownership and it's best for us to back off sometimes, especially with girls. Have you asked your wife what she thinks? She might have info you're not getting. I know my daughter talks to my wife about stuff she doesn't readily tell me.

Good luck,

ML

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I received a PM about something else and in that PM the person said that I must be very proud of my daughter. I am!

One of our discussions about a new trumpet was last night. We were on our way home from a concert. We both play in a community band and we were playing some movements from Scheherezade (A Hindsley Transcription)
    and there was a pert where I had a rest in my part and the rest of the section was playing and lagging. I could hear my daughter pushing the section. That was really a proud moment!!

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Dosen't seem to me she's being held back.

Let her play the old horn until she bothers you for a new one.

All the Best,

Richard

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    oops