Student trumpet limitations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by linktrek, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad I could be of service! :D

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, after a certain point in my comeback --- I start to realize (the ones who can play, and the advice that is good) ---- thanks goes to all (ED LEE you know your included in the list) --- have a great day everyone

3. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Here is the sad part that probably has some truth to it but it is not a cop out. Somepeople are just born with the right jaw structure, lip shape, lung capacity, etc that combines to make them naturally great trumpet players. I read a couple lines on an interview with Maynard Ferguson and he said that his upper register came or "was a gift." I have the believe that each player has their own physical potential or abilities to play the trumpet. I believe we are born with certain gifts or hinderances. It is up to us to adjust and find the right equipment and technique that takes advantage of the abilities we are born with. Of course intellect and personaliity have their impact on our abilities to play. In order to be a great trumpet player it takes intelligence, creativity, coordination, the ability to think quick, and probably, dicipline, and much more. I am trying to find out what that much more is. But this is really my phelocify on trumpet playing. It also helps to be able to spell correctly without a spell checker. I am still working on that one too

4. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I suppose your right in a sense. Yeah, I am 5'5" tall, so obviously I could never have been a pro-basketball player. Limited size and strength, of course then I looked on a list and found out "Earl Boykins at 5'5" tall, and of course perhaps the most famous pro-basketball player of diminuative stature "Tyrone Mugsy Bogues" coming in at a towering height of 5'3" ----- even 2 inches shorter than I. ONE THING I am certain of, these guys were never told ----YOU CANT DO, OR YOU CANT BE ---- and certainly on those times "everyone" told them Michael Jordan, or Scottie Pippen ---WERE GIFTED, and as short guys they were NOT, the short guys DID NOT BELIEVE THAT ADVICE.

yes!! -- these short guys have something that some of the taller players never imagined ---- these short guys, had a HUGE HEART to believe in the IMPOSSIBLE and THEN WORK, AND WORK SOME MORE, AND NEVER QUIT to reach their goals and dreams.

Top 10 Shortest NBA Basketball Players - Toptenz.net

6. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Yes ..... I forgot to mention that HEART is very important to have to be a great trumpet player. The great trumpet player must have a big capacity to LOVE as one of his characteristics. He has to have the Want to make something Great and Want to share that great thing with people.

*Heart* & *LOVE* are esential!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now your talking ---- and yes, I am 48 yrs old ---- so perhaps my best playing days are over ((well except that I have more range, and more endurance than I had as a teenager, and into my early and mid 20's)) -- which would lead me to tell you. UHM, we really don't know how much is heart, physical limitations, or mind over matter ------- perhaps, if I had as much passion for the trumpet in my high school/early adult years -- as I do now!!! I wouldn't be saying, "I am a better trumpet player now, than I have ever been" ---------------but this is where I am at, better than ever........ ((((wait until I give you the -- "wish I knew then, what I know now" speech, nah, you know what I am talking about!!! play and be happy