Student Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathan.pranoto, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jonathan.pranoto

jonathan.pranoto New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    Hellow all....iam looking for student trumpet....
    anybody have some sugestion?
    how about Weril, Jupiter?
    Weril Alpha VS Jupiter YTR600..
    which one better? weril is american made right?

Thx a lot for your help before....

Regards, jonathan

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    What is your budget? The $100 ones are likely to be junk. If there is a store near you, go try some of them. It really is a matter of what you like. Everyone here will have a different opinion. Most, like me, will suggest buying something like a used Olds Ambassador or King Cleveland or other really good "student" trumpet from the 50's or 60's rather than a cheap TSO that you find on ebay today. There are some, such as the Andreas Eastman, which are available new today that are very good but they will cost $400 or more. So, that is why I asked about your budget. If you give some additional information about what your goal is, we could probably be more specific.

3. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
    I think i made this thread into a wrong subforum....anybody can help me...?

@ ComeBackKid
    what is your suggestion if my budget is around $400-$500
    i think it will cost me more to buy trumpet in ebay....because the shiping cost to indonesia is expensive...
    by the way...
    thx for reply....

regards, jonathan

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Olds Ambassador (used older one, made in Fullerton) or Yamaha student (for newer student model) are both excellent and can be bought for $400-$500 (and quite possibly a lot less) in most locales in the U.S.A.

5. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Check craigslist out. If you find a trumpet that looks good, Get some pics form seller and post them out. I got a really nice Holton C602 cornet for 80 dollars with some tiny dings.My first trumpet was a Cheap Selman that I got new on eBay for 150. If you hit it lightly it makes a good size ding. I still have that horn. It's getting old.

不再購買中國小號
    在中國小號和行進的廢話

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Definition for the "newbie": TSO = Trumpet-Shaped Object

Usually listed on eBay as "warehouse sale" or "bankruptcy". Yeah, they're bankrupt all right.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well, Indonesia adds a few more questions. I don't know what resources you have to find a horn in your area but that is what you will need to do to avoid shipping expense. If there are music stores near you they might have something in your budget but be sure to really check them out and do some research to avoid the Chinese TSO's (which some stores sell). Or, if there are newspapers with classified ads, you could try that.

Otherwise, ebay is probably not going to cost more for shipping than any other method of buying something over the internet. There are online stores that sell new trumpets but again, watch out for the TSO's. There are new trumpets on ebay but...(OK, you know the drill now).

So, unless there are ebay sites closer to you such as Japan or Taiwan, you will need to find a seller on the US or Canada ebay that is willing to ship to Indonesia and I know that there are many who say they will not do that. It is going to be a trick for you to come up with something.

As far as brands go, there is a sticky thread named 'Decent Inexpensive Horns' that has recommendations for many different used models that are very good student trumpets, in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread, if you find one in good condition. Check it out here.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/decent-inexpensive-horns-44578.html

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  8. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
    Hi All...thx for your reply...

@ComeBackKid
    someone here, in indonesia offered me Conn 16B.....what do you think?
    which one has better material Conn 16 B or Olds Ambassador?

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm not the ComeBack Kid, but I thought I'd add my 2-cents' worth:
    I prefer the Olds Ambassador.

If the Conn is the best you can get in your hands, it's much better than most of the student model instruments which are made in your part of the world.

10. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
    thx for reply....
    i try to get Olds ambassador, here, indonesia
    oh By the way CONN director is american made, right?
    sorry for a lot of question....