Student Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathan.pranoto, Aug 25, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    That depends on the age of the instrument -- back in the late 70s/early 80s Conn had Yamaha make their student model trumpets. But they have the word Japan stamped on their 2nd valve casing as I recall, on the side away from the valve slide and near the bottom cap.

2. jonathan.pranoto

jonathan.pranoto New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    hmm....i see..than what year CONN produced their best quality for student trumpet?
    and what year too for olds ambassador?
    ohh iam confuse to choose the right horn...

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Olds Ambassador -- any year before 1979, which is when the original company was auctioned off.

Conn -- any year basically -- they've been quite usable student trumpets right along, in my opinion.

don't obsess too much over this -- get a decent trumpet in your hands and start playing.

4. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
    hay, thx for your advice..
    by the way...what is the different between olds ambassador Fullerton and LA?

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This question is raised a lot and it seems that there are misunderstandings that persist about this. I have 11 Ambassadors (both trumpets and cornets) covering the period from 1949 to 1979. Four of these are LA models. So, I can compare the design and workmanship between the various years directly on the horns that I have.

The first thing to note is that when Olds moved from LA to Fullerton in 1955, the ONLY change that was made was to change the cornet mouthpiece receiver to a standard size (the LA cornets had a larger receiver that does not fit a standard mouthpiece shank). So, otherwise there is no difference between LA models and Fullerton models up through 1959 (I have a 1958 and I have verified that this is true).

Another thing that is somewhat significant is that Zig Kanstul ran the Fullerton plant up through 1971 and with his reputation for quality, you can have confidence that there were no problems with the quality of any Olds horns while he was there.

But, even after Zig left, they did not change much. I have both 1978 and 1979 trumpets (one only a couple hundred from the last one made) and the only difference that I can see between those and the 1960's models is that they changed the valve guides from brass to nylon. But that did not affect them at all. Even the valves and slides are interchangeable between the 1960's models and 1979 models (I have swapped them to prove it). (The 1978 and 1979 models have the letter 'A' prefix to a 5-digit serial number). The LA models are considered to be more collectible and thus will cost somewhat more to buy but are not made any better.

But, more to the point, when I play an LA model and compare it to a Fullerton model, I cannot detect any difference in how they play. The last ones play as good as the first ones. I have bought Ambassadors that had been badly abused and were bent and corroded. When I clean them up and remove the corrosion and oil the valves and slides, they play as good as a pristine model.

The reason that I mention all of this is that if you are going to buy a trumpet from an online source and you pay some attention to the condition that is represented, you can have a fairly high level of confidence that you will receive a trumpet that is playable and it won't matter what year it was made. And the later ones can be bought very inexpensively - generally under $200 for one in pretty nice condition.

All of mine have had missing lacquer when I received them and so the worst ones I have stripped off the lacquer and polished the brass and then they look very nice. So, I don't think that you can go wrong with an Ambassador.

I also have several Conn models and they are all very good, too. So, take the advise of dhbailey and...Go for it!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  6. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
    yeahh..thx for your info....
    yeah someone offered me conn 16B i'm going to try it first...
    btw CONN 16B same as Conn Director?
    thx for your advice all...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  7. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
  8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That horn looks like a winner to me. Keep in mind that with 4 days left to go, it will likely be bid to somewhere around $120-$150. I have one only a few serial numbers from it and it is a wonderful trumpet. The case is very sturdy and protects the horn well. You may notice in the photos that the middle valve sticks up a bit higher than the others. This indicates that the felts and corks are worn or missing so you may need to spend a few dollars to have these replaced. In fact, you can buy kits online for under $20 that contain new ones if you are inclined to do it yourself. They are easily replaced but keep in mind that the new ones may cause the valves to sit in a different position and so some care is required to ensure that they are properly 'aligned' (the valve ports line up with the pipes when the valves are up). It even has the original Olds 'onion' mouthpiece which is actually a very playable mouthpiece. I still use one.
    I would say that this one would be very suitable if you can win the bidding for it. If you don't win, send me a PM. I have a couple that I am willing to sell.

Good luck, Jonathan.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  9. jonathan.pranoto

Aug 23, 2009
    yes, i saw the middle valve sticks up a bit higher than other...
    i'm going to bid it....yeah!...
    wish me luck...

10. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Jon,

That horn looks good. Clean it up and it will work.