student with a question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A lot of Jazz players tend to use "Wow Wow" mutes alot also. Perhaps this is the "muffled" sound your hearing?

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    A jazz trumpet player is more than just a horn player, they are composers with valves.
    Citing Freddie as tired sounding is laughable. Freddie Hubbard's playing was absolutely virtuosic. His sound was vibrant and brilliant. He has large lips, not an air pocket.
    The worlds of Classical and Jazz trumpet playing are worlds apart.
    Both Freddie and Wynton do not play small mouthpieces.
    Do you really believe that Wynton and Freddie are NOT clean playersROFL
    Wilmer

3. Dave

Dave Guest

Dude, I wish someone had turned me on to Freddie when I was your age. Keep doing what you are doing....you'll be just fine. Keep listening to players of all styles. Some will have sounds you love, others will have licks you dig, or a vibrato that is killer. Through all this listening, your own sound ideal will evolve.

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Wilmer here is Freddie with puffed cheeks and he sounds like it. Is this unusual for him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYYFwqmOo98

Freddie may play clean for jazz but that isn't clean like I am talking about. I didn't say that Wynton didn't play clean. Monette deliberately built Wynton an inefficient horn so he could get the sound he wanted more easily. I heard Dave say it himself.

You know as well as I do how Freddie ruined his chops. A major factor was him playing past the point that he should have. A lot of jazz soloists do that. You can tell by hearing them.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The video is from 1981. That's the way Freddie looked and played 25 years ago, he is not puffing out his cheeks "ala Diz." This is Freddie during his fusion period.
    Freddie Hubbard is playing Freddie Hubbard. His playing is exactly right. This is not an artist playing someone else's music, it is a jazz artist playing his own way. He doesn't sound a bit tired to me.

Don't repeat the garbage you have heard, learn about Freddie, the mind-boggling player of the music on trumpet. He is a GIANT of a player.

Wilmer