Student

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 10, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have been asked a few times in the last year about giving lessons by a local band director and parents of young trumpet players of the middle school and jr high age. I have never pursued the idea much due to having so much to work on myself as a player. My neighbors bought their 7yr old a trumpet at his request and want me to give him lessons. I am thinking I will take up this challenge as I can get him off to a good start with basics of music theory, tone production, etc. I know who to refer him to once he passes the level that I am effective as a teacher. My hope is to use some of the fees collected to use towards my own music education with a professor of trumpet and jazz studies at a local university. Increasing my own knowledge will not only make me a better player but increase my qualifications to help more advanced students.

I am looking for suggestions for a good method book to start him on. Any suggestions on how to organize the first lessons and practice schedule would be greatly appreciated.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would say the essential elements book series, start with 1 and go to 3. By that time he will be able to play Arbans, Clarks, etc....
    Depending on the level, straight out beginner that can get a few notes, or where they can play some songs will change what book I would start with. Book one starts with teaching the G, F, E, D, and C and then on. Book two is more advanced with a range from low A to F on the top of the staff.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Essential elements is a good band method but in my opinion it does not address enough the need for a new player to develop the mastery of his instrument. The entire goal and purpose of essential elements is to get an ensemble going. That's fine, but I think that one should also have a method aiming at developing a solid foundation. I found the very basic level not so well treated in the traditional methods most used in France (Balay and Arban). However, my very first teacher had me use Herbert Clark's "Elementary studies" and to this day I have not seen a better method for the complete beginner. I'm sure the forum's contributors who are teachers will have plenty of suggestions for you.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I live in Greensboro, NC and would love to help you start as a teacher. I've been teaching private lessons for 34 years. There is a lot of small details in starting beginners that would just take up too much time to write out. Do you have a web cam? we could talk in person. [email protected].

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks Bob. You have offered your hand in help to me before. Last year I was considering taking on students but it never worked out mostly due to my avoiding the issue. I do not have a web cam but could speak to you by phone .

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    7 years old seems a little young for trumpet, doesn't it?

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Maybe. It all depends on the individual. A lot of great players started younger. He has convinced his folks to buy the horn and get lessons. That is more than I was able to persuade my parents to do at that age.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The other thread with Alison Balsom has an interview following the music in which she says she started at 7. I believe Wynton started around that age too.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so XJB -- which one of us here at TM has to come down to NC and kick you in the seat of the pants and get you started????????? What if your first trumpet teacher avoided the issue -- and never taught you??????????? Yeah, your neighbor WANTS YOU to teach the kid ----- so I say --- take the challenge head on --- MY goodness XJB --- what are you waiting for Christmas?????? oh that was 2 weeks ago -- YOUR past due ---- get going... ROFL ROFL ROFL,
    gee I hope that helps

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Luckily my first teacher was a long time band director/trumpet player. Sadly I didn't pay him much attention as I was sure that I was better than him. His words not mine. Luckily some of his lessons come back to me as an adult and I still learn from him.

Teaching is something that should not be taken on without serious thought and reflection.I would rather refer a person to someone more qualified myself than to do any harm. I have been on the fence for a while now. It seems that now is the time for me. Now I am looking for a little guidance as I move forward.