Student

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I get that XJB, but the perspective of the kid is ----HEY MY NEIGHBOR PLAYS A TRUMPET, AND HE IS A COOL GUY, AND A GOOD PLAYER -- so he could teach me to get some sounds out of my new trumpet --- and begin my career as a trumpet player. --------------and that reminds me of way back when -- I was inspired by the Sousa song "76 trombones" when I was about 8 ----------and I could hardly wait until 10 when they began teaching lessons in school ------BUT if I could have started earlier --- I WOULD HAVE. but I didn't have a neighbor who could play the trumpet!!!!!!!!!!!!! or show me how!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm in my first go tutoring 4 beginning 5th graders amd we've finished Book 1 while in school they will be with it until the end of the school year. Thankfully, Book 2 for them arrived today as we will resume tomorrow evening.

Thinking back, I was starting in Arbans in the 7th Grade and playing in the high school band in the 8th, although then 3rd or 4th trumpet. I must say now if you've not read it elsewhere, my public school instructor, high school band director, and private tutor was all the same person. As a junior and senior I was a student director, in my junior year directing an ensemble that played in the pit for many of the elementary and middle school drama productions, and as a senior once directing the field band and twice the concert band, each for just one song. Each year there were 2 selected as student directors, but I was the only one selected for both years.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thursday I will give my first trumpet lesson ever! Using the Essential Elements book to get started. Apparently this young man begged his parents for a horn during the months preceding Christmas. They say he is constantly trying to play. I am as excited about this as he is!

I plan on keeping the first lesson short and simple. 30 minutes give or take. Will go over proper posture, oiling valves, greasing slides, and holding of the horn. We will also work on just 2 lines of the first lesson that covers first notes. We plan on doing two 30 minute lessons per week. May go to one 1 hour session per week if his attention span holds up.

I am thinking this will be a good way to start. Keep it simple and build from there.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sure give me a call or me mail me, [email protected]

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AWESOME XJB, I think you will find that teaching this young kid his first notes --------------will be a priceless experience for BOTH OF YOU!!!!!!!!

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Just a thought, but would anyone suggest he take a year or two of piano first or concomitantly? Piano might be a good way to teach reading music and theory.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've an 18" tall piano chart on the wall in front of me just below the ceiling. Such once belonged to my Mother. Somewhere I've seen a brass instrument fingering chart as was correlated to the piano keyboard on the sidebar and I wish I could remember where.

The chart on my wall is as long as 3 88 key keyboards, and in two sections. Really makes great musical decor and gives me many memories of my Mom and the times she accompanied me.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my fingers are short --- so that makes the piano, and the guitars very difficult -- I am finding my slide trombone that I got the other week, a stretch also, as my arms seem to have the same inherent shortness as my fingers ------------BUT I can reach all 3 valves on my trumpet with ease!!!!!!!!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, what is your shirt sleeve length. The 7th position of the slide tenor T-bone is approx 24". Posture with your right shoulder foward will help.

I'll assume it was a very special custom piece, but the best T-bone player in our high school band had a physical deformity where his right arm was 8 inches shorter than his left, but that custom piece allowed him to overcome it. He also suffered from extreme scoliosis (hunchback) and had to have a band uniform jacket custom tailored. Still, what a vibrant personality. He was the first to nickname himself "Hunch", so we all followed suit to call him that. Don't know what happened to him after high school, but he didn't attend any of the 3 class reunions I attended. So few registered for the 1963 reunion, that they cancelled it, and I've not received notice of any more.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The best musicians growing up in my high school learned piano first