Student

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Please KT, John Philip Sousa did NOT compose the song 76 Trombones. Such was from the production of the Music Man composed by Meredith Willson. The coincidence is that Meredith Willson played flute in Sousa's second commercial band concurrent with my public school instructor/ HS Band Director / private tutor Walter H. Cameron, the latter who played cornet in this band of Sousa's.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

Each public school in my hometown then only had one piano as was an upright spinet, although for stage performance we then had access to an 11 foot Steinway Grand piano, this latter same piano as later became my Mother's after it was restored. Our high school spinet rolled from the choir room to the band room across the hall nearly every school day. To my knowledge, piano was not taught in our public schools then, but only privately tutored, many by my Mother, who had been taught only by her Mother.

Still, I do not believe piano is essential to reading music as I learned it by singing in children's church choir and in school choral groups that forced a clef change from treble to bass as I passed puberty. I still say reading music is much simpler than learning English and for the most part I now enjoy reading music more than I do a newspaper or text book.

Certainly I had more opprtunity to learn piano than most, but I didn't then want to ... and I do regret such now, albeit I've now a small 66 key Yamaha keyboard I plink now and again on. I did have a pro 88 key Roland keyboard also, but sold it and now regret that also.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Not necessarily.....look at Tine Thing Helseth, she started at the age of 7 and now is world class at 24. Actually she was nearly that at 16!
    It all depends on the desire and love of the instrument of each individual though.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    In all due respect, Ed, I would not be surprised if KT just throws things like "Sousa's 76 Trombones" to get a rise out of everybody. Possibly not, but he will do that on occasion for sure. Agree?

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, and I do the same also ... but sometimes not intentionally. Still, were Sousa still alive when Willson composed the Music man I think he would have been proud and enjoyed the music. Methinks, in a way, the Music Man had a basis on Sousa's musical career, but then I'm a Sousa / march addict. Sousa's performances often included the works of others, and he often gave credit where credit was due. 76 Trombones is in my personal repertoire as is another of Willson's It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas. Although Willson played the flute very well (enough too for the NY Phil), he was primarily a pianist.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'd only add the perseverence and dedication to learn to read music!!

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The first lesson was not as smooth as I would have expected. The fact that he has been noodling around on the horn for about a month led me to believe that he would be making sound easier than he is. He did manage to purposefully get a middle line G and a C below the staff. He did play a weak C in the staff as a complete accident.I covered proper posture, breathing, and how to hold the horn. We discussed what a measure is along with whole notes and quarter notes. I also stressed the importance of resting as much as you play.

I let him listen to Doc play and told him how he still practices 6 hours per day even though he has been one of the best trumpeters for at least 6 decades. This was in hope of getting him to understand the importance of practice. I think I succeeded as I could hear him practicing when I left the house to get something out of my car later that day.

I also sent several recordings via email to his mother for him to listen to. They included Alison Balsom, Doc, Satchmo, and Maynard. His mom says he already likes girls, so I thought that Alison would kill 2 birds with one stone.;-)

Teaching someone that has no idea is different than I thought it would be. It is fun to see the adjustments one has to make on the fly. I have a new found respect for the middle school band director that takes on an entire room of these newbies at one time. Even the least patient and worst directors deserve a medal for doing it year after year.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Xjb0906. Getting in and out of a bathtub, does not mean one is ready to swim in the ocean or compete in Olympic swimming. Likewise just having a trumpet (or other instrument) does not mean one knows how to play it. Tutoring, as I differentiate from teaching, has the advantage. Still, the tutor must have PATIENCE. It was 6 sessions before the 4 boys I'm tutoring together could play a scale in concert key of Bb (no sharps or flats for Bb trumpet) from bottom line of the staff to the top line, and they were concurrently receiving lessons in school. Still, by Christmas they had completed Book 1, while they will remain in the same Book at school until the end of the school year. Too, they had 4 simple arrangements I prepared of traditional carols in their repertoire, and 3 of the boys played 1 of them in unison at the caroling here Christmas eve. Essentially I'm tutoring in sections, while the school teacher must work with multiple sections OR as I think of it, in multiple lanquages ... a much more difficult task and one which is much slower. The boys I've been tutoring are 5th grade beginners, 3 lucky enough to have registered early enough to receive a school instrument of their choice, and the 4th having his own trumpet ( a hand me down, but a Strad ). The best part I've observed is the comaradrie between these 4 boys as is a stimulus to each. I can't wait for the time that I can split them into parts and they then become a quartet. Hopefully, I'm foreseeing this by the end of next year, if I'm still able to tutor them.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no, I am certain that I saw John Phillips Sousa when I was a kid -- yes, I am sure it was a Big Marching Parade down the center of town!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL --- can't we just say KT made a mistake???????????????????????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

besided this post was how XJB could inspire a kid, and that was the point of the post --wasn't it??? that if the kid is inspired and WANTS XJB to teach, then that is the best place to start!!!!!!!!!!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I like Alison too ---!!!!!!! ----- and didnt' I tell you --when you teach him the first song, or to play a few notes ----THAT will be a priceless lesson for both of you????????? hang in there XJB!!!!!!!!!!!