Student

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 10, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    He is obviously very easily influenced.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, unless you are a whole lot older than me, you've made another mistake about being certain you saw John Philip Sousa whereas he died at the Lincoln Hotel in Reading Pennsylvania in 1932 where he had gone by invitation to be guest conductor of the Ringold Band. He had given up his own second commercial band in 1931. Too, historians of Sousa concur that his bands only marched on the streets 7 times, and these were only with his first commercial band as was the internationally famous one, as existed only prior to World War I, when Sousa accepted the position to direct the U.S. Navy Band at Great Lakes Naval Station in Chicago IL. What I've said here can all be corroborated by articles about Sousa on the web. Too, Sousa was reputed to have been a master violinist with perfect pitch.

Still, the style of Sousa's bands was emanated by many other bands in those earlier eras.

BigDub, KT did it again.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As well as your nose, as you have so well and so graphicly discribed in your posts. So your point is....

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ipso facto, it is agreed that very young children are "easily influenced" by their own family and friendly neighbors. This can be for the good ... and it can be for the bad.

As I was the youngest child in our family, I too was influenced by my older brothers who also played brass instruments and were going to eventually be in High School band. I just couldn't see how to carry a piano, and wanted to go for a much smaller instrument, and first started with a school French horn before buying my own trumpet. I'm now happy as heck to to have the memory of actually being in the same high school band for 2 years that my late brother also played in and while he played bass instruments (baritone, tuba, and Sousaphone), I played the trumpet. At home we often played duets.

Yes, whomever a child wants to study with is very important. The same appliess to an adult. If both are not compatible to each other, I don't believe optimum progress will occur. I often demonstrate during the 20 minute rest of the students in the middle of our 1 hour sessions as I believe keeps their goals in view.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    YEAH, he must have seen JP Sousa in one of his nightmares that BigDub and I give him. Yep, KT does seem to be needing professional help at this time. But just to clarify, was it John Philip Sousa you saw or are you confusing him with Dr. Seuss?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A copy of Sousa's photo or the painting of him hanging on the wall, with some USMC recordings of Sousa music playing (he doesn't have any of mine), and into his third can of that Aussie brew and allusions occur. He might then be marching or sitting alongside Frank Holton in the trombone section. If,If, and If, he really might then learn how to play that slide.

Well, only lately have I been straightened out to play that "thing" better ... but I'm "grounded" now from practice or playing anything until I get cleared again by my Docs.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Grounded by your doctor? What do they know?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When it comes to my health, I hope a whole lot more than I do, and I believe this IM Doc does or I wouldn't be alive now. Anyway, my throat now feels so much worse that I'm even pureeing my hamburger to swallow. Anyway, the IM Doc has now arranged for me to be at EET Doc in Rocky Mount NC at 8:30 AM tomorrow 1/23/12 , advancing my appointment by days. I'm packing my hospital bag to take with me! My wife will drive me to appointment tomorrow.

Sorry God, I won't be in church this morning. Don't want to pass what I got to others in the congregation, if it is contagious. Sure don't feel well enough to sing any hymns. Now gonna try to drink a hot tea and go back to bed and try to get some more sleep.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :shhh:

Sorry Ed, but I am not certain why NOT playing a trumpet is recommended for a sore throat. Must have missed that lecture in med school.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WHO? KT or the kid you are teaching?? or, wait a minute ----several posters who just went on a tangent, because I mistakenly forgot who wrote "76 trombones"!!!!!! Anyways, XJB --- the kid you are teaching can be influenced by a wide variety of stimuli, from songs and various trumpet players, or from you and your teaching him, or from a song on the radio ----------so whatever infuences his participation in the trumpet -- you are there to guide him into making music -----priceless, priceless, priceless (after all, how many of us remember our first band teacher?? ---lots of us)) ---- how many of us remember are first birthday????? not many!!!!!