Student

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 10, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We are just giving xjb the perspective of how students can ramble, and what he can do to real all of us in, as he would need to do with his students. But no, you, the individual who NEVER goes off on tangents, had to submit the post above to do keep us on track. So now we are going to once again have to ramble to give another opportuity to xjb to get as all back onto the theme of teaching students.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

YES, ramble on good doctor ---- and I am surprised that the tangent went off again because I -- the infamous KT, posted. Certainly GM, you must have valuable and pertinent information for XJB ---- as a teacher of both medicine and students of music. very interesting ---------------that is took KT to reel you in --- I mean if it is possible to reel you in. Hey I am just saying..........................

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Simple sore throats came and went rapidly throughout my life with OTC spray or lozenge. This bout is concomitant with other miseries and I'm not about to eradicate it all with the same. EET Doc appt in Rocky Mount advanced to tomorrow 1/23/12 at 8:30 AM and wife will drive.

Gotta be able to practice myself by Wednesday to tutor the boys on Thursday ... otherwise I'll have to cancel.

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Yesterday ended up being a dark day. My student has decided to stop playing the trumpet sighting that it is too hard and takes too much work.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    A sign of the times...

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like a sax player in the making.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't get down XJB --- actually on the bright side, this kid is BEING HONEST WITH YOU!!! so ask yourself -- is it better for the student, to come to that conclusion, or would we all at TM want him to push through lessons, and END UP HATING MUSIC AND THE TRUMPET???? PERHAPS XJB, this is EXACTLY one of those LIFE LESSONS that you were able to TEACH THIS STUDENT!!!!!!!! yes, did you look at it that way???? life is difficult, if you want something bad enough -- you often have to work at it, and here is a young kid --- WHO REALIZES THIS AND REALIZES NOW THAT HE HAS TO WORK TO GET SOMETHING ------ and if it is something he really wants, then he must be willing to sacrifice time and effort for that.
    DONT GIVE UP XJB ---- YOU ARE A TEACHER --- YOU JUST TAUGHT YOUR STUDENT AN AWESOME LESSON IN LIFE ---- now where else could he get that education?????

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Don't feel bad, xjb, the trumpet IS hard and takes a LOT of work. It's really true, and it's not suited for everyone. Better for a kid to find out early ..... or, after some reflection, he may be back. :dontknow:

Turtle

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I think that he may have stayed with it had he been in an ensemble of beginners learning together. He is home schooled. My daughter went through the same thing with the violin. She took private lessons and was doing well. In the end she stopped playing. She is now trying out percussion at the middle school. The funny thing is that we practice together ( her request) out of the school recommended method book. She plays the snare part first while I make sure she is getting it right. Then we play it together with me on the trumpet part. Now she wants to practice in order to be ready to play music with her peers. The social aspect of playing shouldn't be ignored when working with a student.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    social aspect -- yes, that is why I joined a community band --- to be involved, and useful ----