Students you have had you are most proud of.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Feb 24, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was wondering if any of the instructors on this site would like to share there favorite success stories about students you have had.
    Could be someone who's student went onto be a successful pro.

and/or
    Perhaps someone who had some challenging things they had to overcome.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Have had one student turn into a pro jazz and lead player in Germany, a few there who became leaders in their town bands, but the two most memorable were a deaf girl, whose self esteem grew by bounds (she couldn't play well, but--she could play!) and another beginning student who struggled to get a note out of the trumpet for a good two months. Suddenly he could play notes, and was dancing circles around the students he started with in no time.

Growth as a trumpet player is good, but growth as a human is better.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What is so significant about becoming a professional player? IMO it is enough that we play because we enjoy making our own music. As a vocation it is a grueling grind to find a position that supports a family and lifestyle and astronomical expenses in achieving such viz education, instruments including repairs, music and accessories.

I'm satisfied if a student I'm tutoring improves his/her playing capability.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I started playing with a trumpet trio two years back, and it had a weak link to say the least. He had barely any talent whatsoever but he was a warm body and dedicated. I took my under my wing and this year he made the top band at state all region!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's just sort of a fun thread Ed, and I agree not everyone has to have a principal player come out of your student list .. although it is cool to hear about. When I was a senior in high school, I saw one of the third part players sitting in the band room sort of lost trying to get through the music book. So I sat down and just went through some things ... a few years later I ran into him somewhere and he said he still remembered that little practice lesson and really appreciated it. It was pretty moving, I had no idea how much it meant to him. He never went on to be a pro or anything ... was just a nice thing and learning moment for me.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have only taught 2 students, the first was a 6 year old who had a burning ambition to play french horn, I started him on cornet and got him a nice secondhand Getzen, his father was a trained singer and helped him with the musical side, when he started secondary school he went to french horn and eventually obtained a B.Mus from Melbourne University.

The second was a chap in his late twenties who had inherited his grandfathers pre WW2 Besson International trumpet and wanted to learn to play it. He had aproached our bandmaster for lessons who passed him to me. He only had a part time job as a cleaner and could not afford a professional teacher but was happy to pay me $10 for an hour a week. He had no sense of pitch and very little of time, he had not listened to much music, I had him for about 18 months until I moved away, He was very diligent in practicing what I gave him each week and listened to cds I lent him. After the 18 months he could sight read most of the tunes in the simpler books and had memorised the major scales C, G, D, E, F, Bb and Eb with a range to high C. I have lost contact with him.

Regards, Stuart.

7. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Ed,

I agree that playing for enjoyment is important, but I also believe that what is significant about becoming a professional (maybe I should add "full time, able to support a family") professional is significant because of the very things you mentioned.

I do know a few people, however, who are "full time (though not trumpet players) musicians", but one is fortunate enough to be married to someone who has a good income. Which is fine, but the reason that I play professionally part time is that I'm simply not good enough to be able to earn a pay-the-mortgage-and-the-rest-of-life's-expenses income if I tried to play full time.

Brad361

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've tutored a few over the years. My senior year I worked with the lower chairs in the third and seconds. Ran into one of them before Christmas. She has now passed her horn to one of her grand-daughters.........:oops:

9. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    In High School Band, I taught one of our flute players how to play trombone.

A few years later, she was the Trombone Section Leader. :-)

coolerdave likes this.
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    no possibility of a new comeback player on the TM I guess :D