Studies in Europe

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by Philippe, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Philippe

Philippe New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    Hello There!
    I hope everyone's winter break is pleasant.
    Ed,
    As you know, I will be visiting Germany, France and Spain this coming month of May. We (my girlfriend and I) have already bought our first orchestra tickets to hear the Berlin Opera perform Mahler 8 conducted by Boulez. I am looking forward to it. My point is this.
    I have an itch for adventure and I am anticipating wanting to move there and study/play/work after undergrad . I want to be in that rich cultural backround. What should i do besides practice to prepare myself for such a change? Is it THAT much of a change? (playing and culturally) I am going to take courses next year to learn German. I have recording sessions booked for January for summer festivals. I don't want to jerk around and "hope" something comes up. Where do I begin? P.S I hope you're an expert at pingpong by now. :)
    Philippe

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Philippe,

Happy holidays to both of you.

"Study in Europe" is a big topic. Do you want to enroll in a music school/conservatory? If so, knowledge of the native language is vital (Hakon speaks perfect English, but classes in Malmo are conducted in Swedish. I know that you speak fluent French -- Paris and Lyon come into play?), and it's important to determine what the tuition is for foreign students (info is available on the web). Do you want to take lessons and hear concerts? If so, I can connect you to a handful of "household" names who would probably work with you.

The issue boils down to what you expect to accomplish. Can you tell us about that yet?

Watching here with interest,
    EC

3. Philippe

Philippe New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey Ed,
    I want to accomplish a few things while i'm there. I want to make a good impression on all of the musicians i meet because they may be able to help me out if i decide to move there to study. I would very much like to meet the top trumpet teachers in Europe. I also want to make myself known to the Karajan academy. I want to see what the level is like in Europe, especially in orchestras other than Berlin and Vienna. You know, the smaller ones that we talked about that are everywhere. I'm sorry if my ideas are scattered, but i think you get the idea. Thank you.
    Philippe

4. CGUM

CGUM Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2005
    Hi Ed,

Since a topic of study abroad came up, What are your thoughts on trying to obtain a fulbright scholarship? Pros and cons?

CG

5. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Charlie,

There are no "cons" to a Fullbright. They're absolutely brilliant but hard to get.

If you're interested, start laying the groundwork in January. Read up on the process (I believe that applications are due in November). Pick a country that you'd like to study in and where you speak the language (forget about the UK. . . your chances of getting one there are less than winning the lottery). Identify a person that you'd like to work with and begin dialogue with him/her. This person's support is vital to the process, as are the number of applicants to a particular country.

One of my McGill students has completed the process (Paris/Aubier) and awaiting word as to making the first cut. Fingers and other extremities are crossed!

EC

6. Mikki

Mikki New Friend

Dec 29, 2005
    Norman, OK
    Hello all!
    A good friend clued me into this topic/forum as I too am very interested in the possibility of studying trumpet abroad after I complete my undergrad. I am interested in studying in the UK at perhaps Guildhall School of Music, Royal Northern College of Music (Patrick Addinall in particular), Royal Academy, or Royal College of Music. Any help regarding personal experience with these schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mikki

7. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Hi Mikki,

You've identified four of the five truly great schools in the UK (I'd add the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow to the list as well. CalArts has an exchange agreement with RSAMD, by the way).

The trumpet class at RAM, when I was there back in the 90s, was the best I'd ever heard -- a testament, perhaps, to the vision and creativity of John Wallace (Head of Brass, now running the entire show in Glasgow). I'm sure that there hasn't been much, if any, fall-off with Jimmy Watson in charge. The Northern usually has a super group of trumpeters as well (Jim Miller is one of my favorite teachers and people).

Forget a Fullbright to any of these schools, however. You'll have to pay tuition. Broadening your musical horizon may well be worth it(!) London, along with New York, is the musical center of the world, in my opinion.

Where do you study now?

Best,
    EC

8. Mikki

Mikki New Friend

Dec 29, 2005
    Norman, OK
    Thank you very much for your reply! Any insight as to what people think about the schools in UK is of great help. I am currently attending the Univeristy of Oklahoma, studying with Dr. Karl Sievers. After I finish up this current school year, I have one year left until I graduate. And if I understand correctly, many of the schools in the UK need applications in by this upcoming October/November if I would like to attend their academy the following year.

I am looking for a teacher who teaches very close to the way I have been taught through my undergraduate upbringing. You must hear/visualize what you want your musical product to be before attempting to accomplish your goal.

Any ideas as to teachers who teach along these lines? Or close to?

Thank you so much!
    All the best,
    Mikki

9. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Mikki,

A web search will reveal application deadlines. Good that you're thinking ahead. . .many don't. (applause)

Read everything that you can about all 5 schools and prepare a killer program (heads up: you'll probably have to audition live) (heads up #2: you'll have to study the nat as well as the modern trumpet -- a big plus-point in my opinion).

Personally, I'd worry less about congruent teaching styles (nobody is going to take you far from what you've stated) and focus on what you hope to accomplish in your new environment. It's a BIG world out there, my friend, and it's absolutely filled with fabulous musical experiences.

Say hi to Karl for me when you see him?

Best,
    EC

10. Mikki

Mikki New Friend

Dec 29, 2005
    Norman, OK
    "...focus on what you hope to accomplish in your new environment."
    I'm hoping to perhaps feed into the many smaller orchestras over in the UK...perhaps a small opera company, ballet company. I've heard in Europe, there is more of an mentor/apprentice way of doing things in the musical realm and getting jobs. Do you know how much of that is true? Of course, there are auditions for the major orchestras, but I've heard that depending on who you study with, your chances of obtaining an orchestra gig can be far more likely. Any truth to that?

But yes, my wanting to go to the UK and abroad to study is definately for the environment. Thanks again for your help!

I'll give Dr. Sievers a 'hello' for you!

All the best,
    Mikki