STUDY: does music make u smarter??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrian, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Adrian

Adrian New Friend

May 24, 2004
    Hey all,

Im doing a survey for one of my classes...and the question is does music make you smarter? Im comparing the overall average(school) of students who are musically trained to those who aren't. I would GREATLY appreciate it if you can answer these.

Instrument? (assuming trumpet guessing trumpet)

Overall average/grade point?

Math grade?

English Grade?

Any help would be GREATY appreciated...thanls all,

Adrian M

2. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    i'm trumpet and sax.
    average grade-B
    math grade-C
    english grade-C+

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007D716-71A1-1179-AF8683414B7F0000&sc=I100322

you need to define "musically trained". does that mean college degree, priviate lessons, how long have they been studying?etc ....

some guy on 3rd trumpet at your local high school who cant play 'come to Jesus in whole notes' probably wouldnt help your study out much.

i think you might be better off ( since i dont think there are to many HS students on TM) taking peoples verbal and math from either the SAT or GRE using that. look up the 'norms' for the year they took it and see how they rate above or below it, then assign them a Z score.

it might give you more in the way of evidence for your project. :lol:

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Adrian... I wasn't musically trained while in school. However... I have three kids who were/are. One of them just graduated with her B. Mus (performance). Her academic grades were always "good enough, could be better". She had the attitude that "I'm going to be a musician so I don't have to work at the other stuff". Too bad... she missed out on a lot of potential scholarships.

My youngest two (twins, age 15) however, have a totally different outlook. When they were in Grade 6 they were tested for reading comprehension. They scored at a Grade 12/13 level (that's 1st year university). They are now in Grade 10. One of them (play/learns violin and tenor sax) carries a 95% average....the other (trumpet) keeps his average around 90% +/- 2%. (what does that say about trumpet players!?). Their maths and sciences are their highest marks, generally not less than 95% and frequently 98-100.

I'm convinced.

Edit: Oh, here's a link to the Royal Conservatory of Music and what they have to say about the subject http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=LTTAAssessmentEvaluation

5. Adrian

Adrian New Friend

May 24, 2004
    hey sry...when i say musically trained i mean they have taken lessons and are trained in both theory and performance. If i may also add years of training and age if possible

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Trumpet/Guitar/Piano/Baritone/(learning)violin

One thing I'd like to point out here...I'm at A&M. I don't really think my GPR is going to help you. First, I had a 1.6 my first semester, but that was because the Corps of Cadets took up 90% of my time. Last semester I made a 3.7, and at midterms this semester I brought in a 3.2, but that will probably go down some as the classes got a mite bit harder afterwards.

Math Grade: Calc 1-A Calc 2- (probably/hopefully)C

English Grade: Tested completely out of all my English classes

Science Grade: Mechanics:B Chemistry:B

SAT Math: 680, 2nd try
    SAT Verbal: 650, both times

7. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    It is a proven fact that being musically involved will make you smarter. I would check out the M.E.N.C website, MENC.org I believe. You should be able to find tons of professional studies that have been done to prove this. It's kind of hard to explain here because there are so many factors that contribute it would be easier to find some studies and I would highly suggest starting there!!
    Adam Metzler

8. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    Instrument:Trumpet
    Overall: 80%
    Math: 70%
    English: 80%
    Years of training: 5
    Hope this helps...

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Principal: Trumpet
    instruments: and all other brass

GPA: 3.2

Math grade: B avg.

English: A

Years of training:.... a few, lol.

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Lots and lots of studies done on this subject.

I would tell you mine, but the skew would be horrible. I have an undergraduate degree in music and doctorate in which I only got a few "Bs" and the rest As.

But look up the studies. One of the reasons I use the name "Music & Character" is that there is a plethora of studies showing what music does for people, both intellectually and emotionally. Kids that listen to gansta rap are totally different from band and orchestra musicians. Even if they do both, the latter will have a positive influence.

I support school bands an orchestras for that very reason and I am a big believer in drum corps for the same reason.

Jim