stuffy horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have playing a Blessing BTR 1580 for well over a year now and I really like the way it plays and have never had a problem until today. Had a big band reh. this morning and about 2/3 the way through reh. it just would not play, it felt like a valve had turned slightly. it was really stuffy and I couldn't get anything out. I stopped, made sure my valve guides were locked in correctly. Iwould play about 2-3 measures and it would do the same thing. this went on for about 6-7 minutes [1 1/2 tunes] and then every thing was right again. I'm going to get ahold of Blessing and order new guides and see if this clears every thing up. I have had a tab break off of a guide one time so I know this isn't the case and the guides don't seem worn [have had that on a couple of older Benges]. When I got home I gave the horn a complete cleaning [did so about 2 weeks ago] and snaked out the horn just to be sure there wasn't anything floating around in there. Anyone else have a similar problem that just went away? Not sure I can trust the horn with out finding something wrong [just the machine repairman in me].

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Hey Dave take your foot out of the bell. HA!!

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    When was the last time you cleaned your mouthpiece? As in, used a mouthpiece brush on the backbore, and made sure the throat was nice and shiny?

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, check mouthpiece. Then pull several slides and see how valves look in down position. Then pull tuning slide and look through leadpipe. Check spit valves to be sure sealing.

5. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    could be the valve bushings (not sure if that's the correct term) - could be overly compressed - time for new ones. I prefer rubber over felt - felt fibers have a way of getting in there too.
    just my 2cents.

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Water key pads or springs... Sounds like a leak....

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The only time I have had a horn go suddenly strange was when a 2 piece mouthpiece loosened at the joint and I did not notice it, really upset the response.

Stuffy horns I have found the major cause is the alignment in the up position, usually caused by too thick felts, this does not come and go, rather a permanent state.

Interested to hear if you get a resolution.

Regards, Stuart.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input everyone [you too Steve] and the pm , I keep my horns pretty clean [completely pulled apart and snaked out with warm running water every 6 weeks or so] also clean my m.p. at least every week. The valves worked fine just seemed like one was turned so that is why I am thinking guides but they look good. I was careful to be sure the guides were seated in the proper slot so this is truely a mystery for me. I pulled out a very good playing L.A. Benge 5 [590X] as a back up horn but really like the Blessing better. I would like to buy the newer black syn. rubber spit valve pads and replace the cork ones on the horn now [wish I could find the old Schilke pads with the nipple that fit in the spit key]. Going to keep playing the dern thing to see if it happens again.

9. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I hope that you figure out your issue soon! I was wondering, and I don't mean to derail the thread, what you think of your 1580. Is it the standard model, or the reverse LP? I have been wanting to audition one, but have not yet been able to get my hands on one. I have read previous posts on the subject, and I am curious about your experiences with it in any setting in which you have played on it.

Cheers!

10. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    Make sure none of the pipes are bent inside.