Stumac's Research Project

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I'm sure that many of us would be very interested in participating in this research. But I don't suppose many have ready access to a Penwalt precision gauge or similar. But it's easy enough to rig up a basic water manometer to make the same measurements with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

[​IMG]

All it is is 10 meters of 0.3" clear plastic tube slung over a curtain rail with a bit of food-dyed water in it. To get it into the corner of my mouth while still being able to play a clean note, the rubber teat off an eye dropper works perfectly. Readings are simply the difference in water levels in the two legs of the tube loop for each pitch.

My readings were taken on the Yamaha 6335HS II with Wick 2W mouthpiece.

C3 - 5.1" WG
    G4 - 8.0" WG
    C4 - 11.4" WG
    E5 - 14.0" WG
    G5 - 17.7" WG
    C5 - 21.1" WG

I'll see if there's any difference with my other instruments tomorrow. Let's put some numbers on 'stuffy'!

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Analyze;analyze |ˈanlˌīz| ( Brit. analyse)
    verb [ trans. ]
    examine methodically and in detail the constitution or structure of (something, esp. information), typically for purposes of explanation and interpretation : we need to analyze our results more clearly.
    • discover or reveal (something) through such examination : I intend to analyze the sexism in such texts | [with clause ] he tried to analyze exactly what was going on.
    • psychoanalyze (someone).
    • identify and measure the chemical constituents of (a substance or specimen).
    • Grammar resolve (a sentence) into its grammatical elements; parse.

You guys sure put the 'anal' into "[B]analyze"

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey Big Dub, that is how real scientists work!

Sethoflagos likes this.
  4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Without I hope being too 'anal' about it I wondered what a graph of lung pressure vs frequency would look like. And it looks like this:

[​IMG]

...which to my jaded eyes looks very much like a straight line through the origin, with maybe a suggestion that I should recheck top of stave G. Engineers like graphs like this. They suggest a really simple correlation.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi stumac,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears from what you've done that blow pressure (air mass) and volume are positively correlated, right? and at a particular pitch more pressure doesn't change the pitch, it just makes the sound softer or louder. Interestingly, the higher you go, the higher the pressure is needed for that particular note.
    I like it!! Now that's serious thinking. It's impressive (and in my opinion shows real intelligence)when someone uses their head and what's lying around the house to discover how something works.
    Bravo!
    Dr.Mark

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Thank-you, on behalf of Stumac, Dr Mark ;-)

Except we haven't got onto volume yet: it's blow pressure at minimum sustainable volume. It'll likely be different for different folks.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    So...it sounds like the higher the pitch, the higher the pressure? I could've told you that!

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hey Seth,
    On that graph, are you sure it is the High C, it may the Bb below it played open. That will give the drop off on the final plot.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Peter. If you weren't such a good friend I could take that comment as an insult. I do know my octave from minor 7th! ;-)

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah, but you didn't come up with the numbers, mchs3d! A theory without numbers ain't worth Jack **** is it? ;-)