Stumac's Research Project

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Mar 30, 2015.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Seth, a water manometer was what I was going to use till I remembered the gauge I had in storage left over from my days of repairing and calibrating. Your results reasonably accord with mine, lots more work in future. I do not think many people would have a $4000 gauge lying around the house.

Mark, the idea is not mine, just trying to reproduce what I read somewhere that Arnold Jacobs said "That the blowing pressure doubles for each octave".

My next investigation will be with a sound level meter to get an idea of pressure verses loudness. Peter Kartu of the Tres Mambo Music school has postulated "That if one can blow 6 discreet levels of sound then one can play 6 harmonics, 8 sound levels, 8 harmonics etc". He bases this on the work of Fletcher and Tarnofsky Physics dept University of New South Wales. I wont get to this until towards the end of next month.

Regards, Stuart.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Which implies that a graph of lung pressure versus frequency will be a straight line through the origin. My data concurs. (do you have the original published paper, Stuart?)

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Arnold Jacobs quote I think is from his book "Wind and Song". The Fletcher paper I will try to get a link.

Regards, Stuart.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Looking forward to seeing results of pressure vs pitch vs volume Stuart and Seth. Gut feel is that apparent linearity of the graph lacks meaning without the sound level being measured - given the inaccuracy of our ears in measuring small changes in volume.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    tj,

my initial experiments were to see what the minimum blowing pressure was to just sustain a note, my next will be with a sound level meter, will be later next month after I return from the China trip with the Orchestra.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Measuring absolute acoustic power is a bit of a fiddly business, but as a general guide, I added (my estimate of) mezzoforte and fortissimo levels to the presumed pianissimo measurements I took last night.

[​IMG]

I should add as a proviso that at the moment my dynamic control above above the stave is not quite perfect and the ff high C is pretty near my humble limitations.

Roughly speaking, mezzoforte seems to correspond to pianissimo of the next partial up, and fortissimo, two partials.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    --------
    Hi Sethoflagos,
    Yes numbers make it look better but I have to admit, if I had a nickle for every research paper that used BS data or a BS statistical process (especially in behavioral sciences), I'd be rich.
    I have a basic saying that goes like this:
    BS in = BS out. Make your data and your process as clean and current as possible and the rest should take care of itself.
    Dr.Mark

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Are you using C,G,c,e,g,c?

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Good heavens!! The lengths to which we will go to avoid practicing!!! You guys probably have clean houses, no dishes in the sink, manicured lawns, full bird feeders, the list is endless. What a sick bunch!!

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011