Stumac's Research Project

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Mar 30, 2015.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Seth, I did not think you were a New Zealander:D Ducks for cover.

Regards, Stuart.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I am beginning to think along the lines of an energy balance, potential energy of blowing pressure and kinetic energy of air stream. as the air has to go through the mouthpiece, If I still have an unmounted thermistor (think fly spec on a 0.001 diameter wire) I shall insert in Mp back bore after the throat and make a flowmeter. Back to the books.

Regards, Stuart

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Thermistor would be good. Though with these rapidly fluctuating quantities, the challenge is always getting the system inertia (thermal inertia in the case of a thermistor) down low enough to track the signal without too much lag.

We could even go the whole hog and bond a mini strain gauge to the shank next to the thermistor to try and pick up a pressure signal. Even if we didn't manage great absolute accuracy, it would be really interesting to plug both signals into an oscilloscope and see what was going on with phase shift vs volume etc.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Does tongue position have any influence on air pressure?

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    sethoflagos & stumac will know better but I think if the tongue is raised to speed up the air (venturi tube), I think the pressure in that small area goes down (danny bernoulli).
    Seth, stumac, did I get it right?
    Dr.Mark

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I believe the TM approved term is 'horse feathers'.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/air-support-faster-air-79613-5.html#post796049

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/what-79629-2.html#post796218

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/input-please-why-tongue-used-upper-80631-3.html#post809135

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/input-please-why-tongue-used-upper-80631-9.html#post810241

If you don't (want to) read my postings, I really cannot help you. They're not in German.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The pressure is set by the balance between the abdominal force on the lungs working against the dominant flow restriction, which is the aperture. For the tongue to affect this pressure, it must create a secondary restriction which is comparable in area to that of the aperture. It will then start to reduce the pressure available at the front of the mouth until ultimately the flow is totally blocked off. This is what we do when tonguing a note. We momentarily block off the airflow with the tongue to kill the old note with a negative pressure wave, then get it out of the way as quickly as possible to initiate a positive pressure wave which kick starts the next note.

A 'normal' tongue level will have no affect on pressure whatsoever. The flow area is a couple of orders of magnitude greater than that at the aperture.

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What about the air pressure playing only the mouthpiece?

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Same deal. Somewhat in defiance of Rowukian orthodoxy ;-) I was leaving the instrument out of the equation. As far as the lungs are concerned, they only really 'see' the aperture. The aperture on the other hand 'sees' both the steady(ish) driving force from the lungs (modulated by tonguing) on one side and the resonant behaviour of the instrument on the other. This obviously impacts the behaviour of the aperture, opening it up or stifling it as the case may be, and this will be different from just buzzing the mouthpiece, or free-buzzing for that matter.

What thought's lie behind the question? (And please don't say 'nothing' ;-))

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    How about "curiosity" for an answer? My questions were all about using the data you've collected and ways to gather ancillary data. The first question was about the effect of changing tongue position while being measured by the manometer, the second to see if playing the same notes on the mouthpiece alone require the same pressure.