Stupid fingers!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djserrant, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Clarke technical studies (#1) can turn stupid fingers into very smart fingers without even trying. Since January 1st,as part of my new years resolution to boast my playing I have been doing these everyday.I noticed that lately my third valve finger which always sat flat,is right in line with with the other two fingers. This happened unintentionally just by doing the exercise.Man it can get boring but oh so worth it.

2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Last night I was running through a couple of the exercises from Clarke's Technical Studies that my teacher assigned me. I decided to try the same one in a different key and just could. not. do it. I slowed it down to half time and still couldn't get my fingers to cooperate. I became frustrated and almost just moved on to something else.

I changed my mind on quitting and slowed it WAY down until I could do it perfectly, which was stupid slow. Increased by 2 beats per minute, 3x at each speed. If I missed a note, I would start over at that speed. After 20min I got it up to the speed that I was doing the other ones.

I kind of surprised myself. It's amazing what such a simple little technique and enough patience will net you in the end. :)

3. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    We're not quite sure; look at it as an opportunity for self expression?

:cool:

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Isn't this how practice always goes!

Find something you can't do and do it slowly at a speed where you make no mistakes and do it over and over until you can do it faster/higher. If you make a mistake, you don't move on until it's perfect.

My piano teacher said I must be able to play everything 5 times in a row with no mistakes to be able to actually play it. It's a very good way of practicing. Very frustrating also.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is no such thing as "stupid slow"--only "stupid fast." Good job!