Stupid me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Mar 26, 2013.

1. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I was going to post this on a different thread, but here's the perfect opportunity. I got an iPad 3rd gen with retinal display just after Christmas, then DLed the app forScore which lets you import music PDFs. I now have all 3 vol of Real Book(something like 1,200 pages), whatever music the bands at school are working on and even a full musical(which I will delete once the performances are complete). And oh yes, the entire Arban's(of which I own the original) and most of my private lessons warm-ups and drills. Regardless of when I use actual sheet music, I take my iPad now as back up. Even though the screen is slightly smaller than standard paper, the retinal display is such a high resolution, it is easy to read.

forScore let's you notate right on the PDFs with your finger or a stylus AND tie mp3s of music TO the PDF music, I have several of my most played jazz standards linked so you can actually play the music file from the PDF music.

The technology is simply amazing and I think will change the way we do things in the coming years. There are foot pedals available now so you can turn pages and not stop playing. There will always be a place for sheet music (just as the whole book to ereader debate), but used as an effective tool, tablets and appropriate apps are really quite incredible.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    At least you didnt get to the gig and realize you left your horn at home.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    .................................................................................:play:
    OK guys... never been there, never done that... It's all up here^ in the old knoogen. And when it's not up there, then I read over a C instruments shoulder, as I know how to transpose with great efficiency. Learn transposition. You will be glad when you do. The rhythm section you sit in with will love you for it.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that's why God (and Sachmo) created scat singing.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Never done the horn or music thing yet, but have with the mouthpiece. End up playing whatever spare the other horn players carry. Now have four 3C's- keep one in each of the "most used" horn cases.

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    STUPID is something we all do every-once-in-a-while! Probably one of the things that makes us trumpet players. After all, it takes a certain type of person to pick such a fickle mistress as the trumpet. Not to worry. As they say, "You lose your memory first." . . . uh . . . What was I saying?

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When forced to share music and the conductor glares at you for a mistake, just say, "It's not my fault--my stand-mate wrote the wrong fingerings in!"

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Measure twice; cut once.

We've all done it. We've a club with hats and sweaters.

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Didn't they believe you when you said the dog ate it? ROFL :shock:

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Down Under it's "a Dingo ate it!"