stupid, stupid teeth.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    so... one of my bottom teeth ever so slightly over the years has gone just slightly awry. it kills my lip, ive noticed if i just tear a peice of paper and put it over my bottom teeth, it makes the playing less painful, i know this will probably have some stupid long term affect, but im curious, has any one else had this sort of issue? and if so, is it possible that a dentist could file the tooth back? idk, just one of those things that makes me grab my lip and go "dang it!" just curious, thanks.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If I were you I would go and visit my dentist and see if they could help me in some way. No one on the internet can help you without seeing you or being a dentist.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    You have my sympathy--I have a lateral incisor that keeps moving backward and it has begun to seriously effect my playing. I've talked to my dentist about braces and caps (I'm 60 years old), but she isn't too keen on either. Definitely talk to your dentist, but until then you might try a little of the wax used on braces to keep them from cutting your lip--probably won't help, but you never know.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a mouth full of crooked teeth. My dentist helped A LOT! To a certain extent, they can grind a tooth back. Sometimes they will fit a removeable retainer to help get the teeth straight again.

5. eee511@mchsi.com

[email protected] New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    I have had a cap put over (bad) teeth, and that seems to be the best resolution to your problem.

I also lost my four front teeth in high school. My dentist made me a bridge by capping the two eye teeth. That was done in 1967, and I've had no problems with it since!

My only problem is that I'm 72; love my trumpet (Selmer Paris K-Modified) which I got new in 1959, and can't hit the high notes or have the tone I had a few years ago!

Whatever!

6. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    thanks guys, ill definitely check into it.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I did a similar fix with Invisalign. Worked great, you take them out to play or eat, and it moves the tooth little by little, so sudden change to the chops.

8. Pope

Pope New Friend

Dec 25, 2009
    I've seen several woodwind players that use a piece of masking tape or something similar over their teeth to help get rid of the vibration from the reed. My aunt, a sax player, has been doing it for many years, with no adverse effects.

9. Esgaroth

Esgaroth New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    I appear to have the same problem, not sure if yours is as severe but - one of the two lower front teeth seems so crooked that one of its sides sticks like a knife into my lower lip as I play. I thought about ignoring the problem for a while, until I realised that it's leaving a visible, deep cut in the lip, thus hurting like a bitch, and that my lip is attempting to tackle the pain by switching to the left side while playing as soon as it starts to hurt. Which is becoming a big habit, so as I've been advised by a trumpet player, I think I'll just quit until the orthodontist has a go at them. Not much to lose at this point as a beginner, at least... I suppose I really wouldn't be the best one to tell at this stage, but it really seems like getting it out of the way is better before your lip starts to go "wtf" at you.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    ah, welcome to the forum esgaroth, for me, i think ive really just been practicing incorrectly, but your problem sound bleh. sorry man. lately, using less pressure and taking more breaks has helped quite a bit. a trip to the dentist will be comin up though, so ill look into it. i hope you enjoy the forum here. most everyone has a good ammount of knowledge, and will be able to answer to your Qs... (correctly? thats a whole nother thread lolol)