Styles - Commercial vs Classical

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GregMTM, Jan 9, 2013.

1. GregMTM

GregMTM New Friend

Jun 7, 2011
    Hi all and Happy New Year. Here's to a trumpet mad 2013!!!

I've finally had a chance to get some new stuff up on to the MTM site and I thought I would share with you a topic that keeps coming up.

I find it interesting how many people, esp younger players are critical of any style of trumpet playing other than what they enjoy playing themselves. I reckon an appreciation of all styles makes us better musicians.

I often get asked about the technical differences and approaches to playing different styles; here's a video of my take on it...

Have a great year and come and say G'Day at www.mysterytomastery.com

YouTube Link

Cheers, Greg

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I agree wholeheartedly.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was trained by the principle trumpeter of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra through the late 60's and 70's. He helped me develop the tone and sound I have today, as a jazz musician. When I go back to playing classical pieces, the ring of the horn is still there. When I play my jazz pieces, I like using the same ringing quality. Is that unique to my style? I too articulate at times like Lee Morgan, but I still give it my Eugeen Blee ring. So not classical vs commercial, but commercial with a classical approach, yes.

Cheers

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I grew up in Philly playing everything that was put in front of me. I love music and the trumpet.

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    In the early 80's,I was trained in classical settings with combined wind and strings. Once in HS, our school district was filled with pro trumpet players in all genre's. The mix was great and we got private lessons as part of our corriculum in musical studies. We were then trained in jazz, Latin, improve, and all sorts of other fun genre's. Some were good at one thing while other good at many. I think music is just how we express what compliments us as people. Some players have just mastered their instrument to make it sing how they feel it.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And what an incredible variety you must have been provided. I can truly understand the love of music and trumpet you received from such exposure. Your technique truly emulates this love.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have no comment!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had a recent lesson with a gifted pro who actually asked me, out loud, what kind of trumpet player I wanted to be. I said, "I AM a trumpet player and I want to be more of a musician." He raised his eyebrow and asked me to play something very loud, after which I decided that I wouldn't take another lesson from him.

You learn from classical, jazz and commercial styles, and if you're lucky and have more time than I have everyday, you come up with another.

Btw, LA locals, The Ain't Your Daddy's Big Band is back tonight with some of the best trumpets in LA: Rob Sack, Bill Lamb, the occasional Anne King and Mel Bator, along with local hack, Ed Mann

Las Hadas Mex Restaurant/club, Nordhoff and Balboa in exotic Northridge, 7:39 start. Two and a half sets.

ed

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Ed, I will make it out there to check you out soon.

10. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    When you Jazz guys play classical, What horn are you on and why?
    I use my Courtois trumpets.