Styles - Commercial vs Classical

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GregMTM, Jan 9, 2013.

1. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'll use about anything but the Committee. It's more of a function of mpc for me anyway.

ed

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Olds Recording... Because it's classy, and has the brassy sound that is deserving of classical music.

3. GregMTM

GregMTM New Friend

Jun 7, 2011
    @Sounds7. I use my Shew 8310 with a Marcinkewicz Shew No.2 for lead and the New York Xeno with a Bach 1 1/2C when sitting in an Orchestra. Totally different sounds. I can't generate the sounds that I want in different playing scenarios with the same gear. I also can't catch marlin with a fly rod!!! :)

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Touche, the recording is a great classical horn and blends in well. For Jazz, its the Silver Flair all day long.... :lol:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    BUT

The Martin Committee ALL NIGHT long... 'cause it IS the DARKER horn!:lol::D:roll:

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, like Lionel Richie song says - All NIGHT LONG -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I have one olds recording that sounds really good on the classical stuff, I have also used the Calicchio on classical with a deeper mouthpiece. The Courtois is my favorite though.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Another Great Video, Thanks Greg.

I mainly use the Bach Strad 37 L bore with the Asymmetric Opera mpc and change to the Asymmetric 342M Lead for high solos with the Big Band and Concert band. The horns make a difference, but not as much as the mpc IMO. I tend to rely on the Bach for a consistent sound in a serious setting, but happy to swap horns around weekly for regular practice, and will bring 2 horns to a gig JIC. For Big Band, I like to put in a Bent Bell for the attention :cool: