Substitute for VALVE OIL? Kinda desperate. Got son trumpet 4 Christmas!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunflowergirlntx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. sunflowergirlntx

sunflowergirlntx New Friend

Aug 29, 2008
    I got my son a used Bach Omega from a guy on Ebay and it was delivered a couple of hours ago.
    He is so happy. BUT there is a problem with the first valve. It sticks and he can't even try out the new horn
    very well. I don't have any valve oil! It came with some slide oil, can I use a dab of it? Not for long term use,
    but so he can at least play it!! ??? He's chomping at the bits to try out the trumpet. It sure is pretty!

I sure hope there isn't anything wrong with the valve :(

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    extra virgin olive oil will work also --

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Use the slide oil - it will work fine. Even water would work for a short while.

4. sunflowergirlntx

Aug 29, 2008
    OH! I'll try that then! Thank you so much :)

5. sunflowergirlntx

Aug 29, 2008
    I tried water to begin with, but it didn't help at all. There is also some trouble getting
    the valve into the casing. I sure hope there isn't anything really wrong
    with it.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    They wanted to sell it for SOME reason.... maybe now you know why!

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Hmmmm, water is not a lube that would work. I would try slide oil. As for the valve, I have that problem with my pro Yamaha. It just needs to be lubed good, put in the right way, and not forced. It should be fine.

I like the Omegas, they can be good trumpets.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Olive oil?! That's like using 90 weight gear oil...way too thick. Stick with the slide oil.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uh that's extra virgin olive oil -- for this one emergency -- and I would hope he wouldn't try to put a whole quart in the the cylinder -- and why didn't you knock the guy who suggested water????? just saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are many potential causes for a sticking valve. There are many discussions on here about this so you may want to do a search (use Google or Bing to do it - the search function here is limited). But, as a quick reference, here are a couple of things to try:

* using some dish detergent and a coarse rag, thoroughly clean the piston and the casing (push the rag through the casing with the caps removed and pull it back and forth repeatedly)
    * If you have some isopropyl alcohol, try cleaning the piston and casing with that.
    * Look through the casing at a bright light and see if the inside of the casing appears highly reflective - or dull which indicates dirt or varnish accumulated. It may take repeated applications of the above to really clean the casing.
    * When the piston and casing are dry, carefully insert the piston and rotate it to the correct position and see if it moves smoothly. That may help determine if there is some damage or distortion that is causing the interference.
    * After all of the above, the other suggestions for lubrication may help temporarily. There are many other possibilities but some may be harmful so if you use something like WD40 or fuel injector cleaner, be careful to thoroughly clean it before your son plays it.

Good luck.