Substitute for VALVE OIL? Kinda desperate. Got son trumpet 4 Christmas!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunflowergirlntx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hi,

Use lamp oil or karosene. The stuff thT goes in the old fashion oil lamps that burn. I know some folks here will made an argument about it, but over the years trumpet players have made their own valve oil from such. I have one Bach Strad that ran on karosene/ lamp oil for several years (lamp oil is karosene with some coloring and " smell good" ingredients added.)

If you have tried anything else you may need to pull the valve out, rinse well and cloth dry the valve casing, and rinse well the valve ( don't get upper corks and felt wet.

Good job mom on getting a great horn for your son.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    How many people actually have that in their house? I do, but the normal person may not.

+1 on the horn!

3. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    A lot of folks keep karosene lamps for power outages. we have 2 on the mantle. Some people even have the Christmas lamps. Worse case is a trip to Wal Mart or CVS for 16 oz of lamp oil - about 10 years supply. :)

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lamp oil and kerosene --- yeah that might work -- but maybe not the best idea for a kid and a horn ---- HEY BRAD - where are you?????? water, kerosene. lamp oil --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I used kero for many years - until they put the ugly smell into it - but it will work, although I'd suggest you filter it through a drip filter coffee filter or similar first, you'll be amazed how much crap will be taken out, and you don't want that stuff in your valves.

6. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Actually, there are some"formulas" floating around for those that want to make their own valve oil. Most use lamp oil/karosene - like ultra pure lamp oil. I think lamp oil may be a finer grade of karosene. Seems like it comes in #1and#2 grade of purity. A very small amount of automatic transmission fluid also went into one of the formulas.

I remember playing the Gov's inauguration in PA around 1970. It was a record cold day- near zero- and the director had us putting karosene on our valves to keep them from freezing up. That's when I learned the karosene trick. Kept a dropper bottle of it in my case and used it for valve oil for about a year.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Please NO! NO! NO!:evil::evil::evil:

I once had to scrap a trumpet that was completely seized from rancid vegetable oil.

If there is no valve oil available, use water. Or deodorized kerosine (sorry - don't know what it is called in this country)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now -- I am wondering why we don't tell the OP -- to ONLY use that oil which is recommended by the manufacturer!!!!!!!!! --- I mean even if they have to wait a couple of days to get it. NOW that would be the absolute best advice ---- wouldn't it?????????????

9. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Good catch! Ivan, you are correct. However, it is Christmas and a young kid getting a Bach and not being able to play it is ...well there ought to be a law against it. :). I know if I had gotten a Strad as a kid and then ckuld o ly look at it I would have probably died We were passing on info that would let him play for a day or two until he can get a bottle of valve oil. Your point is valid, in that we got caught up in trying to explain what to use in a pinch without saying use only until you can get valve oil. The horn should be cleaned and then always oiled with purchased valve oil.

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would die too......I would make some valve oil out of thin air to solve that problem. Dont ask how, only I can do it.