Substitute for VALVE OIL? Kinda desperate. Got son trumpet 4 Christmas!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunflowergirlntx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    HEY!!! KT - read Ivan's post and see he also suggested water. Even CONN suggested water for its clicksteel valves in the 40s. If you want someone to knock me, do it yourself!!:-P

BTW - knocking a veery is very risky. They eat reputation chickets for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and tea. If you want to knock something, knock a dent into the OCD kid's Xeno in that other thread.

Oh, Happy Holidays everyone!

My holiday gift to you all - the song of the Veery:

http://youtu.be/cK1gaTqBRRk

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, have fun KT.

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I wasn't "knocking" anyone. I was merely pointing out that olive oil, virgin or otherwise, is quite thick compared to valve oil, and I wouldn't even use it in an emergency. Though water wouldn't work very well, at least it wouldn't gum up the horn.

4. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    I know that in the old days the brass band players here in the UK would make their own valve oil from lamp oil/fuel oil (kerosene) with a small quantity of standard oil (3 in I oil), the kind of oil you'd use on your bike, lawnmower, door hinges etc. You'd have to experiment with ratio's but if I remember right it would be something like a litre of kerosene and a few drops of 3 in 1 oil. I hope this makes sense, some of the terms we use for stuff in the UK doesn't always transfer across to the US, brand names differ etc. but you get the general idea. I recently bought some 'green' valve oil called Poppy (made in Sweden, I think) and it was basically very watered down washing up liquid, it didn't work that well but it's been around for years so on some horns probably works allright.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Wouldn't it just be easier to find a music store?

codyb226 likes this.
  6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Best response yet!!!

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    You can safely use contact lens cleaner, eye drops, windex, or soapy water. It'll last for 30 minutes or so.

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    When I was a kid, I tried sewing machine oil from my mother's sewing machine kit. That was a bad idea; much thicker than valve oil (though I thought it was about the same).

I would't recommend trying to make something up, else there would be countless threads of recipies for the best choice. I would guess that you could find a music store open - even some that cater to guitars (most stores these days I fear) have some basic supplies for band instruments...

9. sunflowergirlntx

sunflowergirlntx New Friend

Aug 29, 2008
    I want to thank all of you SO much for the info! I started to use the slide oil, but it was so thick
    it seemed like it would be gunky so I tried Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I only put one little finger dab on each side
    of the valve. It worked like a charm!

I want ya'll to know that my son is "as happy as a meadowlark" (something my daddy used to say).
    Kind of like that "Veery Thrush" Verry715 :)

This is a very pretty trumpet! It has some very pretty engraving on the bell. It does have one little ding on the side of the bell,
    but my son has a huge smile on his face! Lots of pride :) A few days ago I got some great advice here,
    and I went ahead and bought the Omega. I looked at the link that was shared, and found out that the Omega shares some parts
    with the Strad, and they discontinued making these Omegas because it was selling so good it was taking from the sale of Strads.

Anyway thanks again, and Merry Christmas to everyone :)

10. sunflowergirlntx

sunflowergirlntx New Friend

Aug 29, 2008
    Hi Brad yes and tomorrow I hope the one little music store here in my small east TX town is open,
    and I will buy some if it is open. But my son chose a new trumpet over getting a brand new 32 inch
    TV for his room. I was so proud of him. I had to take the TV back to Walmart. Anyway,
    we got it in the mail today, and he was freaking out because he couldn't play it. 9 A.M. tomorrow
    morning is a LONG TIME for a 15 year old boy, chomping at the bits to play a new awesome trumpet.