Substitute for VALVE OIL? Kinda desperate. Got son trumpet 4 Christmas!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunflowergirlntx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is called Al Cass.........

Call the school music teacher. Someone with experience should look at the valve anyway! Get the RIGHT stuff to lubricate. Get your child off to a good start.

2. bbotzong

bbotzong New Friend

Aug 8, 2010
    Don't knock water... Works great in a pinch. I also found clear, unscented lamp oil (99. 9% pure paraffin oil) works great and costs about 99ยข per quart.Been using that instead of the $6 per 2 oz commercial stuff and it doesn't gunk up your valves, is quick and doesn't smell.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Take the horn to the music store and get it cleaned ASAP. The Olive oil will go rancid and cause the valve to stick worse than it already was.
    It takes FOREVER to properly clean a trumpet with cooking oils that have gone off. I get at least 5-10 per year at my shop and it is a nightmare.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    +1

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Conn recommended it on the 40B!! They stated only inferior horns needed oil!!

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I just got a Yamaha pro trumpet, I was begging to play it. Got it on ebay for a steal and turned out great. Im also 15 so I know why he wanted it. Good job, +1 for Mom!

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Once when I first started playing ,and performing in my first concert,one of my valves started sticking while on stage. I was excited and forgot to oil before going on stage,I didn't take any oil on stage,and neither did anyone else.A quick fix that lasted until intermission was take out the valve and spit on it. There was enough lubrication in my saliva to get me through that first half.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I can see that working, but I would only do that in an emergency.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama

Glad it worked out. I am 57 and would have been going crazy if I had received a new horn and couldn't play it, so can understand your concern over a teenager in such a situation. I imagine your son knows how to clean a trumpet in a tub. Right before you go to the music shop, have him clean it so none of the olive oil remains. Buy your valve oil and ask about having the dent removed while you are there. If on the bell, it is a very simple repair- $5-10 here at most.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY

It was!