Substitute for VALVE OIL? Kinda desperate. Got son trumpet 4 Christmas!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunflowergirlntx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    i was in that same situation before, it worked ok for the rest of the concert. Now, i just keep valve oil in my pocket for every performance.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    ComebackKid has addressed this issue well. I have found that Singer sewing machine oil works well in an emergency. Yes, first clean valve and valve casing as stated. The object is not to use one oil added to another as often they produce a more of a sluggish problem. Too, it is hoped you can finger open both top and bottom caps on the valve. Too, once valve is removed, you'll notice a tang, either brass or plastic that will fit in a slot. Carefully rotate the valve so this tang aligns with this slot. Be careful also in replacing caps to engage these fine threads smoothly. DO NOT USE ANY TOOL TO FORCIBLY OPEN A VALVE CAP!

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Exactly. One of the functions of saliva is to act as a lubricant. Nature's valve oil. :) Well, maybe not.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    1947 when I joined the town band saliva was the only thing used on the valves, we were told not to oil them.

Regards, Stuart.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH MY GOODNESS --- a drop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil --------and a DAB will do ----------Kingtrumpet has the best advice!!!!!!!!!! something that actually works.
    Of course (sunflowergirl), we should take "trumpetsplus" as a repair tech, and horn maker --- that when you get valve oil for the trumpet, it probably should be cleaned so there are no remnants of vegetable oil in the horn. BUT AS WE SAY in Kingtrumpet land, this was an emergency situation, and I am so glad the kid can play his horn. AWESOME.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Olive oil will cause more problems than fix them. Really bad advice. Please don't repeat it over again. They will notice their mistake when the oil goes rancid and the tech has to hammer the piston out of the casing and charges them double for the extra time it takes to clean all the goo out of the ports.

7. michaelbsc

michaelbsc New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    SC weekdays, NC weekends
    Any organic oil, vegetable or animal fat, will break down in short order producing free fatty acids (technical for rancid), which will cause corrosive damage. That's why food processing equipment is stainless in slaughterhouses. The monel valves might last a while, although monel isn't particularly corrosion resistant compared to other SS alloys. The brass is at serious risk with organic lubricants.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  8. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    lamp oil works welled used it for twenty years

Dennis78 likes this.