Substitute in your section

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Anonymous, May 23, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mr. L:

I've been called to play sub in a pretty big orchestra for the first time this week. I was just wondering what you, as first trumpet, expect from a sub. What impresses you? The show is pops, if that makes any difference. I know the normal stuff like be on time and know the music, but is there anything that makes a person stand out to you?

Thanks a lot!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear PBT,

Very helpful question!

For me, what I like to see in a sub is the same that I expect from a member of the section: either listen very closely so that I have to say very little or when I tell you something adapt right away. The last thing I want is for the conductor or MD to have to go over a passage more than twice because the extra players don't quite have the instinct or experience to "get" what is being asked of them.

Since music is about subjectivity of interpretation, not everything can be quantified like a math project. Listen and do what I do, don't ask me how long, how short, how loud, how soft, and play in tune! Use your talent and ears to determine what is required. Show me you understand the concept of style and the ability to change if need be.

Again, very good question.

ML

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    "Since music is about subjectivity of interpretation, not everything can be quantified like a math project. Listen and do what I do, don't ask me how long, how short, how loud, how soft, and play in tune! Use your talent and ears to determine what is required. Show me you understand the concept of style and the ability to change if need be."

WOW! I like that comment a lot! That one goes on my list of quotes to remember. It also summarizes a concept that was largely missed at one point during my Army Band days. During section rehearsal, we used to get into these lengthy discussions about how long or short or how much to crescendo or decrescendo, and I always thought that we would be better off to simply play in the proper style and key in to the lead.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Manny-

Back to subbing with the same orchestra and another question popped into my head:

We are playing a two trumpet Mendelssohn work and I'm on second. Not knowing exactly the principal's preference for balance, would you try to play equal to him until told to do otherwise? As you know everything is in octaves or unison.

Also, just wanted to plug the Orchestra Musician's CD ROM collection. I pulled the part off of one of my CD's (I bought the whole set) and brought it today. It turned out that they had misplaced the part, and so I was really glad to have my copy. These CD's save the day sometimes!

Thanks as always!

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Manny,

I remember Bud's advice the first time that I played extra with the CSO when I was a young pup. . . "kid", he said, "just remember to be the last one in and the first one out. You'll do fine".

Seems like it was yesterday.

Cheers,
    EC

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    PBT,

My suggestion is to do something quite difficult:

Play with about a 60%/40% relationship to the first player yet still have your ears open enough to change things quickly if need be, pitchwise. That is, play a little louder than the first but with an ear for change. Now, Mendelssohn requires a little lighter touch than most other classical composers, but your principal player will appreciate the support of the lower octave you will provide.

Enjoy the show and if you see Mr. Fedderly in the hallway, give my best regards.

ML

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks Manny and Ed! I see Mr. Fedderly every week or so, if not in the orchestra over at his brass shop. He has a pretty nice business going over there. Busy man, between orchestra, his shop, and teaching at Juilliard!

8. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    PT,

....also a sloppy kiss for Jim Olin. Ask him about the Interlochen Arts Academy.

Best,
    EC

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Haha! I worked with Jim at Peabody. What a great guy! Very humble and funny! It's such a small music world, isn't it?

I'll tell him you said hello.

10. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    PT,

Alex Gotay as well. He's spent a week at my house the past 2 summers between Domaine Forget & Banff.

Best,
    EC