Such thing as "too deep/big?"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aboomer90, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think one of the other problems with mouthpiece sizing is most people go bigger on Bach mouthpieces. I personally cannot play on a bach 3C. My lead/rock/jazz piece is a stork 3d. Rim shape matters as much as the inner diameter of a mouthpiece.
    Playing non-bach mouthpieces allowed me to find a rim that I could find comfy.
    Most importantly, if you what you have works and is comfortable, don't switch :)

2. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    If you can get a wide range of colors to fit the musical situations you play in and have no shortage of range and endurance, then I wouldn't change just because the size sounds large. But if you are not all there playing wise, I'd start gradually working your way down in size. I play the smallest size I can to get a tone I like, which in my case is a B2S3 (similar to a Bach 1-1/4). Anything smaller makes me work harder to get the tone I want and anything much larger is less agile and difficult to light up when the need arises. I spent decades on the equivalent of a Bach 1. Big mistake...