Sudden Difficulties. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adena422, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    Normally, I can reach at least a B or C above the staff, without very much difficulty. For the last couple of days, I have found it harder to get the notes to come out right. It takes a moment for the notes to come out. Also, something seems different with the way I play in the last few days. My tome isn't as good as normal, and my tonging seems to be not as clean as normal. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or what I can do to fix it? Thanks!:dontknow::-(

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    first of all -- let me say --RELAX!! -- if you have earned those notes and they are usually there -- then they will be again!!
    I periodically go through this stuff -- where I have a break-point! -- can get the notes above, the notes below, but I will have the A above the staff crack and be difficult to sound in tune. Then I worry about everything else.. Usually within a week or two -- they come back in line. I have either stressed my embouchure, am dehydrated (especially in summer), BUT what I do know is that when I get FRUSTRATED -- the problem only gets worse.
    I would try a few days of "softly" playing scales up to and including those notes.
    See if that helps -- you might find soft playing will help you -self diagnose pinching your lips or forcing your air.

3. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    Thank you :)

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    your welcome -- I hope that helps.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Based on the symptoms you've described without seeing you play I'd say that you've probably gotten into using too much pressure, and like KT said, you need to relax a bit.

As a side note, is this happening while marching?

Most of that can be fixed with some soft, easy long tones with a focus of reducing mouthpiece pressure, but don't expect miracles in a day - your chops didn't get this way in one day (although it might seem like it) so fixing the problem isn't going to happen in a day either. Plan on a couple of weeks at a minimum to start getting things back to normal.

Adena422 likes this.
  6. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't do marching. And thanks :)

trickg likes this.
  7. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    When my playing inexplicably changes for the worse, I often find that cleaning the horn thoroughly helps get me back on track. It might be a placebo effect, but muck in the horn can create significant and unnecessary difficulties. The other remedy is to go easy on practicing for a couple days, just playing relatively softly and sticking with middle register lip flexibilities and Clarke studies. Sometimes you just need to give things a chance to heal.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with KT, you probably over did it one day and are feeling it now. The body heals quickly, especially at your young age. It'll come back in a day or two. If not, let us know and be specific with what you think or feel.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Isn't that frustrating when that happens? Some days you can't lose and then others...hide the woman and children ... they key is just time and practice... the better you get the less worse your off days will be...
    until then... see Richj's advice on these days
    :)

10. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    I cleaned it about a month ago, so I think its alright. It kinda fixed itself last night. After playing for a while, it became easier again. I believe I was using too much pressure. Thanks for the help everyone!