Sudden Issues coming out of nowhere! Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pmjinla, Dec 17, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When is your Christmas concert?

2. pmjinla

pmjinla New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Update: Today I practiced fundamental exercises and early pages of the Arban's book. Wow! There was already so much more improvement. I could tell that my chops and air stream was much more focused. I think i just made a permanent change to my daily practice routine. :cool: Thank you to all those that replied!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Our body does not work "all of a sudden" regardless if we are talking about depreciating or appreciating assets. We are what we repeatedly do.

There is enough good advice already given, I can offer one thing however: You need a daily routine - even during marching band season. This routine is not "practice" it is strictly a maintenance thing and MUST be daily. Long tones, slurs, a couple of scales and some easy tunes to get started. You have time to breathe correctly, you can pay attention to body use........

Generally many less experienced players simply play unnecessarily too hard. They go through whatever the teacher assigns, but put repertory at the end - after technical studies. That means trying to make music on wasted chops! Music should come early in the daily practice and technical studies should be played as softly as possible to increase the time that we can spend with them.

Success is measured in months and years, not days and weeks. Having a couple good days in a row is not a measure of anything.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    +1 Also Clark studies (pp) Schlossberg - descending slurs (pp) - simple melodies Always imagining a great sound. (Song and Wind)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Rowuk has often posted the same thing - that success is measured in months and years, not days and weeks. He also has posted about the necessity for a maintenance routine. Both of these statements should be printed out and posted on your practice room wall, along with a favorite of mine which is related - "Rome wasn't built in a day." Your chops are not going to be built in a day either.

You are still in a state of chops development so your routine is going to change over time out of necessity, but it should still be made up of the same things - proper breathing and posture, long tones, articulation, flexibilities, phrasing, flow, etc.

I posted earlier about a routine I employ when the pressure starts to creep back into my playing. The truth is, my routine should probably have more long tones - I still do them, but not like I do when I'm doc'ing my chops, which could be why I wind up with those issues to begin with. Might be time for me to change up my routine a bit - I'm never too old to learn something new after all. :-)

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, my trumpet vocabulary is limited to about 20 different things. Fortunately for me the vast majority of players get all of THOSE 20 THINGS WRONG! Reruns make the skill set very efficient - also as a teacher!

7. pmjinla

pmjinla New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    I am aware that one good day is not success. However, after a bunch of bad days, I can tell that this new routine will lead me to success. I will continue to build upon this new solid foundation. :play:

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I've got it down to 3 things - can get very boring!

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This was my point - the best laid plans - usually get scrapped as we are creatures of habit. That being said, small bits of inspiration CAN lead to a better day, month, year.

I would not be so sure yet that you are "on the right track", rather encourage you to HUMBLY move forward and don't forget where you have just been. When times get good, the lazy get lazier and then lay zee road for zee next Eisenbahn-crash.