Suggest some excercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crypticjoke, Mar 8, 2006.

1. crypticjoke

crypticjoke New Friend

Mar 8, 2006
    I recently began playing trumpet. I've been playing the French Horn for a number of years but I want to join the Jazz Ensemble, and I despise the members of the French Horn section. The issue is my range is really good on the Horn, but it is terrible on the trumpet, I can't even scratch high C. I'm trying to line up some lessons but in the meantime I was wondering if I could get some suggested excercises for increasing my range, in addition to playing my scales.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Not much you can do except take your time and work it up slowly. Trumpet takes a much different approach from French Horn (my daughter is a music teacher/hornist and tries my trumpet from time to time). The amount of physical work involved can be much higher on trumpet (which I've read can be the most "physical" of all instruments to play). Don't worry about an immediate "lack of range"... that's normal.

You know, why not try jazz on the horn? It CAN be done and could be really interesting. Just take the trombone part; all you'll have trouble with is the gliss.

3. crypticjoke

crypticjoke New Friend

Mar 8, 2006
    Well back in middle school I did the Trombone part on the Horn, but the high school jazz ensemble is run a bit more strictly and the basic theory is that the designated instrument plays it's designated part.

4. DLoeffler

DLoeffler Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Get the Clarke technical exercises and work on numbers 1 - 4. Play them where they are written and then gradually work your way up out of the staff and into the ledger lines.

Also check out the following: www.craigfraedrichmusic.com. He is the section leader for the Army Blues and has a 65 page book of jazz scale studies that are free for educational use. The scale studies go through each mode of the ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeloian and locrian. He also includes dorian b2, harmonic minor, lydian aug... I think you get the idea. The plus is that these are not just scales, but actually patterns and ideas that you can then incorporate into your playing.

This site, http://eddielewis.com/, also has some great free stuff.

Hope this helps.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My .02

I found the single biggest improvements that I've made in my range have come from buzzing believe it or not.

I'd recommend you getting the James Thompson Buzzing Method book and the BERP to hold you mouthpiece attached to your horn while your buzzing.

Sounds really elementary, and it is.. But the results are something else.
    I'm good to about the D over High C before I fall off sharply but that's pleanty good for me right now. The buzzing method helps me to center my sound so my notes are full and ringing when done properly.

Secondly any exercises that work your muscles in your mouth to strengthen them is a must. I've found that sometimes I let my corners loose in my embouchure this is a no-no.

Again sounds elementary, and it is. Take a pencil and stick it so that the eraser touches your front two teeth. Your job will be to tighten your lips so as to hold the pencil out horizontally.

Try it for 30 seconds, you'd be surprised at how difficult that can be. I'm just now up to 1 1/2 minutes.

That's my .02

Good Luck!

6. crypticjoke

crypticjoke New Friend

Mar 8, 2006
    Thanks you've all been very helpful

7. crypticjoke

crypticjoke New Friend

Mar 8, 2006
  8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    You know, something you might not have considered..... since your range is fine on the FH...maybe you should look into a tpt mpc that has a more V shaped cup....even perhaps a similar rim (as a FH) along with it. That may do some immediate wonders for you.

Yes...tpt is a different beast...but a FH style tpt mpc may help you make the transition easier...and on the road quicker. Exercises...practice...yes, but check into the mpc thing.