Suggesting a Technical Forum in here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sofus, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi!

Since I don´t know exactly where to turn,
    I decided to make this suggestion in this forum.

I think a Technical Forum would be a good thing.
    As I experience things, not everybody are interrested
    in reading about the technical side of the trumpet, and
    maybe it would be good thing for those who are not to
    never have to see these posts. At the same time, for
    those who are interrested it might be a nice thing to
    know that they´re not bothering anybody with this sort
    of question.

By "not bothering anybody" I mean; not bothering too many
    people, since ruwuk and NickD among others are bound to
    be bothered a lot, I suspect!

:D

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :-)Ahhhh, Sofus, that sounds to me to be a fine idea. I need to be in the mood to dig through technical stuff (I do that for a living) and to separate it into it's own place has quite some merit to me.:-)

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Thank you for this feedback, my friend!
    Never in my life have I needed it more than now!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sofus,
    I agree with the usefulness of such a "repository". I am not sure how it can work if it is completely open. I think about the half truths, myths and conjecture that would have to be filtered out so that we don't have to dig for the "meat".

If we limit the posting to "qualified" questions and answers, we deal with a truth that many do not want to face - ones own lack of depth.

Let's work on this. Think about how it could practically implemented to keep the quality of the posts high, findability high and garbage low - without insulting anybody.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    As a retired engineer I still have an inquiring mind, as Sofus will attest to for our discussions in the chat room, I would support a technical forum with my experience and research, questions and thoughts.

I appreciate the problems involved in sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Thank you ALL!

I agree to exacly everything stated by you!

No doubt that you, stu, would be one of the
    real assets in this forum!!

I´m glad that you find the idea worth working on, Robin,
    and I can see need for taking into consideration the things
    you mention and that I totally missed to foresee!

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I wonder if it would work as something between an SIG and a round-robin - open to all to read, but questions would have to be filtered by a moderator and circulated within a controlled group of qualified technical people for responses before a thread on the topic would be entered by the moderator. Any way you do it is probably going to be a PITA, but I'd love to see such a forum here.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    This is an idea that may have some thorns in it.
    Let me explain:
    1)When a person says "the technical side", it leaves open the question "What is technical as it pertains to this forum?" Will it be relegated to acoustics, metalergy, music theory, the psychology of playing, the physiology of playing, trumpet history?
    2)Who decides if its technical enough to be in the forum?
    3)Does such a forum have the ability to anger people more than most forums? With this sort of forum, I would think a person would need healthy ego strength and willingness to listen and learn.

May I suggest a different forum that will make everybody happy.
    Supermodels displaying trumpets!
    Instead of Megan Fox or Josh Harnett with a Transformer, how about with a trumpet?
    Now, if we can get some technical support to airbrush out Bumblebee and paint in some really cool trumpets that would be a great forum. That is until Optimus Prime finds out.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I like the general idea because I currently spend a lot of time digging through the existing threads collecting tidbits of technical information - in my case, related to playing techniques. I agree with Markie that there are some details to work out and also it seems like this would be a lot of work for the moderators. But, if it could work, one way would be to have sections for each of the topics that Markie has listed as well as some others ("Developing range", "Developing endurance", "Alternate Embouchure Methods", etc.) and it could even have a special section for those who are pitching a commercialized product (CD, Books, etc) to post an ad.

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Yes, I also think there are some details to work out,
    more than I realized to begin with. However, I´m
    convinced that Robin will figure out how things
    will work the best!