Suggestion for beginner 2 book for a very young student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Oct 14, 2009.

1. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    My five year old is still working away at learning to play. He can play though most everything in his beginner 1 book, though he is not exactly fluently reading music. Mostly he is playing by ear. He is very close to being able to read the music and just last week started asking me for a new book. I told him I would get him a new one when he was reading the notes. Yesterday, his teacher brought up getting a new book for him soon.

I am very happy with his teacher, but just wanted to ask here if anyone had any suggestions on books. She is a jr. high band director, and mentioned book two of the band book that she uses with her kids at school. While I am not at all against that, I just thought maybe there was something out there that might work better for a very young player that is not in band.

This is what he has been working out of, along with the band version, Essential Elements 2000. They are both put out by Hal Leonard.

Any thoughts?

A little more update on him: he began piano lessons this month and is enjoying this as well. He is playing most anything he wants to by ear on the piano and is adding chords to much of what he plays. We (parents and his teachers) are not really pushing anything, but rather just letting him have fun and go at his own pace. Both teachers are working on note reading and we try to work with him at home as well. After renting a cornet for a month, we just found a quality used one to purchase for him...at least I am pretty sure it is quality, we bought it from a professor of trumpet at a nearby university. He is now playing on a King 603 that his trumpet teacher said looked to be older, I didn't think to ask.

2. brutrumpet

brutrumpet New Friend

Oct 15, 2009
    Hello Trumpeters! i'm an italian trumpeter and i'm new on trumpet master!

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Very welcome to TM, brutrumpet!

Please introduce yourself in the
    Greetings and Introductions forum!
    Many of us keep looking out for
    new friends in there!

:-)

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Essential Elements is a band method book, good for mixed instrumention; flutes, saxophones, and trumpets in the same lesson. A trumpet specific book such as the Practical Studies book by Getchell is fine. I like the Belwin Cornet Student and Studies and Melodious Etudes books published by Warner Brothers for my student's second book. It offers a good review of previous concepts and then moves on fairly quickly.

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I use the Rubank books for all of my beginner students. They're not quite as flashy as the Essential Elements, but they're great for getting the basics down.

6. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of the Intermediate Rubank but I do like the Advanced Vol. 1 & 2. I also use the as is the 1st book of practical studies as well as Sigmund Herings books. I also like the Breeze Easy books too.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If you're looking for songbooks to encourage him to play music, I'd like to suggest Eric Bolvin's The Really Big Student Songbook -- It's got 174 songs broken into categories each of which moves from easier to harder. It's only $14.95 and be be ordered from this web page: ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: REALLY BIG SONGBOOK -- I have no connection with Eric other than that I like the material he has on his web-site and this book in particular. I've bought them for each instrument and am bringing them into my 2 elementary band classes this week and next to see if any of the students and/or their parents would like to buy them to have extra songs, many of which they know and will enjoy playing.

I agree with CNYTrumpet that I, too, don't like the Intermediate Rubank but really like the advanced books. For most of my private lessons, however, I use The Cornet Student, levels 1 and 2, published by Alfred Publications in the U.S. (used to be Warner Brothers) and part of the Student Instrumental Course. I'm not a great fan of level 3 of that series, but I do occasionally use it depending on the student.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    EE book one is a great book, sing it, buzz it, and play along with the DVD. The Harold Mitchell trumpet method (book one) is also great, for technique, strength, etc...

9. Kristine83

Kristine83 New Friend

Oct 15, 2009
    I've been using the Getchel books as well and have had great success with them (both book one and book two) I also use the Rubank elementary and intermediate books...I'm not a huge huge fan of the Rubanks but the elementary one does cover a lot of scales and has exercises within each scale to familiarize the student with different keys.

I would definitely recommend the Getchel. Book one will introduce new notes and rhythms going from easy to more difficult throughout the book. :)

10. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions! I believe I have looked at the Getchel books, but I don't think he is ready for them if I am remembering the correct one (I will have another look when I am back at the music store next week). The Eric Bolvin songbook looks like it might be about right for him.

We have met with two pros, both of which have encouraged us to just let him have fun right now and not get hung up by forcing lots of technique this early. We were thankful for their advice as it was exactly the path we had been taking with him.

Having a CD that he can listen to or playing songs that he has heard before has been especially helpful thus far. Once he is reading music fluently, I think he is going to be very interested in playing some of the more difficult, technical exercises. The little stinker is already hearing more technical aspects such as trills in music we listen to and wanting know how to do it on his trumpet.