Suggestion fro beginner book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bcdap, Sep 9, 2008.

1. bcdap

bcdap New Friend

Jun 7, 2008
    Toronto
    Just started working with a new student. He is really new but quite good and I am looking for suggestions on what method I should start him on.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    My vote would be for the Rubank method. I think there are three volumes, beginner intermediate and advanced. They don't have bells, whistles, or play-along DVDs, but it's good solid musical instruction. I usually pair it with a beginner "song book," either movie music, Christmas tunes, or Broadway tunes (any of the Hal Leonard beginner song books will work). I make my students eat their vegetables (play their Rubank assignments) before they have their dessert (song books). Hope this helps.

-Jimi

3. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Jimi you have much more experience than i do, but i have to say that form a personal standpoint, Arbans was a game changer for me. It gave me amazing tonal equality throughout my entire range. Believe it or not, i didn't evem know about Arbans until a trumpet player named Freddie Hendrix introduced me to it. (my teacher knew, he just was a dim wit. Needless to say, i'm no longer with him....):play:Either way, find what works, theres so much out there to try. May i suggest perhaps trying some of each? Then narrow it down? Hust a thought

pax
    nick

4. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    did i just call a former teacher of mine a dim wit?? Sorry that was harsh......he really wasn't bad at all, i just out grew him.:D

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Nick-

The only problem with the Arbans for beginners is that it progresses relatively quickly, so the beginner quickly runs out of things they can work on... It's also a fairly intimidating book for someone who can't even get a sound out. My experience has been that a year or so on the Rubank book is the perfect primer for the Arban book.

-Jimi

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Maybe a little more information? How old is the student, how long have they been playing and what general skills have they accomplished? :dontknow: In any case, I'm a firm believer that all trumpet players should own a copy of Arban's, Clarke Technical studies and Collin's lip flexibilities. I don't think they should limit themselves to these three, but they should be in the mix. Just my opinion! :play: Have fun!

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    One that I have used with success is the Student Instrumental Course. They aren't that expensive and do have tunes in them as well as exercises and move pretty fast. They don't have all the bells and whistles of the newer band methods either. I don't really think much of any of the band methods (Standard of Excellence, Essential Elements, 20th Century, Accent on Achievement) for trumpet or for the whole band. They move too slow, are not instrument specific and keep brass too low too long, to accomodate clarinets.

I do like the way Jimi suggests using the Rubank and a tunes book.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    For a begining student , I have used Breeze Easy books 1&2, as the student progresed, Rubank`s Intermediate, Arban`s,etc. also let the student bring in a song or book they want to play ,it helps them to make music out of the notes they have learned, and keeps them interested.

9. bcdap

bcdap New Friend

Jun 7, 2008
    Toronto
    I like the Rubanks idea. I was thinking of starting with these books. I agree about the Arbans being a little too big and intimidating for a young student and I'm not a big fan of trying to get students to play "pop" music just to gain their interest. Thanks for your ideas.

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    The Rubank book is great for teaching technique, but does lack some in teaching musicality (IMO) that is the purpose of the song books. I would prefer classical tunes myself but reality is if I am going to ask the kids to practice all those studies they need to have something that they like and recongnize and as long as it accoplishes the same purpose, it is fine with me.