Suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigaggietrumpet, Apr 26, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, so I'm trying to decide what to do with myself this summer. I'd like to work on tone quality and endurance. How should I go about this? Any particular book that will help me to maximize the efficiency of my time (and it will be limited)?

2. msu_ggtrumpet

msu_ggtrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2005
    McNeese State University
    the book i use

the book i use over breaks or vacations is written by John Haynie. The title is How to Play High Notes Low Notes and all Those in Between. Each week i do another set. each set includes long tones, slurs, double and triple tounging, and finger exercises. also i was told about another book yesterday in my lesson. i will get back with you on the name.

msu_ggtrumpet

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Check out the Vizzutti books and/or Mike Sachs book. They would be good for warm-ups and fundamental practice if your time is limited. Lyrical etudes practice will be good for endurance and tone as well. To work on tone and sound I would also listen to some of the clips under media from this site:

http://www.yamahaartistmodel.com/index2.html

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As nutty as this might sound, the biggest improvements in my tone quality and endurance came in my first couple of years as an Army Bandsman, and I attribute it to two things - playing A LOT of marches (mostly 2nd and 3rd parts, but eventually I was put on lead) and spending time with the Brass Quintet, which was a pretty good quintet.

What about the Chicowicz flow studies? I know a guy who was a BIG believer in them and he had a gorgeous, lush sound, and he never seemed to have any real issues with range or endurance.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    They are great for somethings, but i wouldnt spend too much time on them at the expense of other things.

6. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL

As far as endurance goes, remember to get plenty of rest after any playing where you hammer yourself to death. I've often taken a day off after a gig just to recover, but don't overdo the rest either. In terms of tone quality, it all depends on what you want to sound like. Mouthpiece buzzing for me for about a week maximum has helped my tone quality when it's suffered the most, but again, it's something you don't want to overdo.

Above all else, just be patient. Rome was not built over a summer, it was built over hundreds of years. Playing trumpet is a neverending journey in which we will always be discovering new things, so be on the ride for the journey, not the results.

7. vic

vic New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    Arkansas
    Gekker Summer Practice

O. J.'s Trumpet Page has a very organized approach written by Chris Gekker. Books used are Clarke, Schlossberg, Arban, Sachse, and Colin.
    After reading through this outline, I feel sure you will be in good shape if you follow his practice routine.
    Have a great summer!

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/practice/gekker/

8. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Re: Gekker Summer Practice

That definately looks like a great routine to follow. It's all in what you practice and how you practice.

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, I have to say, that looks like it'd do it. I'm just curious though, does he intend for the player to do a daily warm-up before starting or not?

Also, by Arban's Grand method does he mean Arban's Complete Method? I've never even seen an Arban's before.