Suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigaggietrumpet, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I think the writer confused Arban with Saint-Jacome's Grand Method. Those two books are considered the basic pillars of trumpet pedagogy, which I guess is where the confusion came in.

I've been MEANING to order that method book.... :D

Van

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, he meant Arban, I think, because there are 14 etudes at the back of the book that you can get separately. I'll probably look at the St. Jacome anyway, though.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    so you dont own an Arban's ? :?:

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Nope. And I've played for 9 years, with private lessons for 3. Never once did I even hear the name "Arban" unless someone was referring to the Carnival of Venice.

So I went to the local music store. Surprisingly enough, they had Arban's Conservatory Method. I looked at the 14 Etudes. Realized a very big problem. I can't even COUNT the rhythms. I wish I was joking. I have absolutely no idea how those things go, especially number 2. Talk about a wrench in the works...

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    No Arban's?

I thought that on the day that anyone decided to officially become a trumpet player they were issued an Arban’s book…. Right after they got their Bach C trumpet and 1 C mouthpiece. :bleah:

I am sitting here right now playing some of the melodies in the Art of Phrasing, and I think they might be helpful for some of the things you want to work on. Oh and don’t worry about those pesky things in the back….that is why they are in the back and not the front. ;-)

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BigAg,

That's amazing. Coincidentally, what I was going to suggest before I read your post was to learn all twelve solos during the summer. It sounds more daunting than it is if you know the book. They're kind of formulaic so there's a flow to learning all of them.

May I ask what books you've worked out of with your teacher? Are you more geared towards jazz playing?

ML

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Teacher? Um...don't exactly have one. I realize that the Arban's stuff is pretty much repetitive, just in different keys and moving throughout the register. Unfortunately, I've always had a very, VERY hard time counting rhythms. When I did take lessons back my fish-jr years in hs, we worked mostly on either my All-Region stuff, which came out of the Voxman book, or on my solo and Ensemble stuff. I've taught myself the first 3 Clarke exercises since starting here. But other than that, that's the only "methods" I've used so far.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I think that should be the first thing you remedy if you want to make improvement this summer. even if you only get a lesson once every month or two it would be better than no lessons at all.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The only book I owned until this year was Arbans, and I bought that book the year before. :D

Yeah, once a month with a GREAT player over the summer is the thing you should do! twice a month would be better, but you will be busy this summer, with that job you're doing.

I'm looking to see if I can get in a lesson with a Nashville Symphony player over the summer, or maybe get a great lesson with a respected teacher in Indiana for the few days I'll be visiting up there. Anyone know any such players I should look for and contact?

The Arban's stuff is really good, and should not be overlooked. Play it just to get from start to finish, and Arbans is BORING. Play everything like it should be, and focus on everything being PERFECT, and professional in every sense, and its very, very difficult to play Arban. Its very difficult to play anything, truthfully.

Van

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Arban's, like any other piece of music, is only as boring or interesting as YOU make it.