Suggestions For College Audition Pieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by benjira, Nov 20, 2013.

1. benjira

benjira New Friend

Oct 19, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm looking for college audition solo ideas. I'm going for one technical and one lyrical solo. Solos I'm looking for need to be on this list: issma.net/downloads/brassmanual.pdf but for the sake of others, do not have to be. I am doing Arban Characteristic Study 1 for my technical solo. Thanks for whatever suggestions you may have.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, benjira!

Looking at the choices, there are pieces of varying difficulty, so the question is a tough one-how good are you? What solos have you played in the past? The Balay pieces are pretty easy, high school kind of stuff, but Bitsch and Jolivet are upperclassmen kinds of pieces. You want to impress; playing easy stuff won't impress much, but trying to play something beyond your ability is even more unimpressive.

At this point the best answer I can give is "I dunno."

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why don't you do a video of your playing the Arban, then we can judge better as to what to advise.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Charlier #2

5. Steven Orcutt

Steven Orcutt New Friend

Oct 15, 2010
    indiana
    aria con variazoni by handel

6. jazzdad6705

jazzdad6705 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Do you have a trumpet teacher?

7. benjira

benjira New Friend

Oct 19, 2013
    Indiana
    Sorry. I unfortunately do not have the means of getting a video on here. But I am confident in my ability to do well. And I think I may go ahead with Charlier 2. It's pretty nice. Thanks. I hope that replies keep coming for the use of other students like myself!

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi benjira,
    I have a little different approach to auditions. There are many, many fine pieces out there that can show lyrical and technical approaches. However, your job is to please the adjudicators.
    My suggestion?
    Find out what others before you did that the adjudicators liked and learn it.
    Dr.Mark

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If you decide to go ahead with Charlier #2, realize that after the pretty opening the real meat and potatoes is in the last half. Dynamics!

10. benjira

benjira New Friend

Oct 19, 2013
    Indiana
    Noted. Thanks jiarby.