Suggestions for Getting into Trumpet Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    SO many great responses, thank you all. Now to try to answer all questions...

1) My experience includes: cleaning/maintenance, removing/traighening "stuck" slides(or bent) and mouthpieces, fixing broken valve guides. Relatively minor work, but useful in my experience.

2) I'm really looking to get to the point where I would be able to repair my own horns and/or the horns of my students. I do recognize that it would take a few years to get to that level of proficiency. So I'm not really looking to make a profit from it, but would rather have the experience to satisfy my curiosity and for convenience sake. However, I was thinking about building up a shop business in my later years.

3) A trade school sounds optimal, but the ones discussed seem far away (at least from where I am currently, who knows where grad school will take me?)

4) I was going to look into great Southern Winds here in Gainesville, Cody, but I was considering looking into Hoggetowne as well. I know there is one other repair shop/store in the area.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Sounds good. I would offer an internship in your free time if they cant/wont hire you part time. Maybe they will realize how good you are and give you a part time. Everyone has to start somewhere.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sounds Great!

Don't expect to make any money out of repair:-(

And prepare yourself for quite an investment in tooling.

Good luck - keep us posted.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've used wooden spoons to pop out dents, but have also popped some braces in the process. I would suggest making friends with a good repairman and concentrating on playing skills. While in Germany, I'd bring a couple beers to the local Instrumentenmachermeister. Cheap, informative and fun.

I rode my bicycle there and back.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I like the bicycle edit VB ;)
    Since I want to have a playing career, I'd say that is excellent advice. Now the hard part is to get the beer!

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    A bottle of a good red wine around xmas time each year keeps me in good relations with my repairer, he will discuss problems with me and show me methods of solution. He knows that although I repair old horns I will not be competing with him and he does all my serious work.

Regards, Stuart.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think Gator-Aid is easiest to get in Fla.! ;-)

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Yup, but that is also the bad thing. There is so much! Mark is at the college where it was invented so people probably dont want some Gatorade as a present.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Amen, Brother V! I have a complete set just for that purpose. Sometimes I have to hunt one down in the kitchen, though.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my 2 cents -- if you are going into teaching (as you stated on many other posts) -- I think it is great to have a knowledge of repair and maintenance of NOT just the trumpet, but of all instruments used in the course of a band setting. I think (as a teacher) you would find many --stuck mpcs, clarinet corks that fall off, etc, and other easily manageable repairs that "young students" would have no clue about fixing. Being a teacher, and being able to fix a student's instrument goes a long way in --not only saving them a few dollars -- BUT also fostering that student-teacher connection of trust and respect.
    so --- to me -- - repair is important --- but not so much on a monetary basis as it would be for just being a great teacher --- IMHO, that is. , and of course if you enjoy that and make a few bucks on the side -- that is good also..