Suggestions for Getting into Trumpet Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    That is an excellent point, KT. Yes, I should get more experience in other aspects. I actually also know how to do key/spring repairs on flute and clarinet, as well, so that's a start.

Gatorade's good to keep me hydrated while doing all the repairs! ELECTROLYTES

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If you can't play them well I don't think you should be repairing them. We all know of Woodwind repairers who regard trumpets as just a pice of plumbing.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Trumpet+ -- hey don't worry about that -- YOUNG Mark in another post plays his sisters (flute or clarinet )) -- well it was a woodwind thingy anyhow ROFL, and young Mark is also learning a multitude of other instrument that will solidify his teaching abilities as a Teacher, motivator, and all around multi faceted musician --- at least that is what I remember from another post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    This company has a location in the Tampa area. They do all my major repairs. They train instrument techs under the supervision of NASBRIT certified instructors.
    Rent-To-Own School Band & Orchestra Instruments
    I have started using Hoggtowne lately and I have been pleased with their work also. And Hoggtowne seems faster on their turn around time so far. I have not had need of any major repairs for a while to see how Hoggtowne does on them, but I have a cornet to send in this week that has a few dents in some not so convenient locations I will see how that comes out. I think they have two brass techs and a woodwind tech. The owner of Hoggtowne, Joe, is a trombone player that also does instrument repairs. I don't know if they do training.
    There is another guy that does repairs from his home in Mt. Dora that is good also but I don't know if he would train anyone. He does a lot of work for the Lake county schools.
    The guys at Great Southern Winds in Gainesville do very nice work. They have done a lot of work for the guys in KOS band that Cody and I play in. Very good work including valve jobs,bell replacements and complete relaquer jobs. If you can get in with them it would most likely be the best in your area.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes KT is correct -- I can (minorly) play clarinet, and my brother and sister both play (my sister is quite an excellent player, recently won honorable mention for concerto competition in Atlanta) so she has shown me some things about playing and repairing.

I played flute for a couple years, before I played trumpet. I still can play, actually pretty well (I practice every now and then), and I understand how the flute works still.

As well, I will be taking a years worth of lessons on both instruments next year as part of my degree. I definitely understand your concern though!

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Knowing which keys to press doesn't constitute knowing how a flute works. There is a lot of knowledge involved in learning how to correctly straighten the body, raise and lower tone holes, level keys, install pads with and without shims, float trill and C key pads, not to mention the alignment of the flute, specifically the right hand stack and the Bb key bridge from the right hand stack to the Bb and A keys.

The same goes with brass. You can't get very far just knowing how to replace felts and corks and pulling out a dent with a spoon. There are a million things you need to know to about all instruments in order to properly repair them back to factory, or better than factory condition.
    If you are serious about repairing, go to one of the schools. This will maximize the skills you learn in the amount of time. Sometimes apprenticeships can move very slowly, and you don't have as much room to really make mistakes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I love gatorade - especially Orange, and Cool Blue

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    honorable mention for concerto competition --- OH yeah, and she taught you ----- that's one talented family you got there my friend.