Suggestions for how to prepare for something out of the Norm

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi all,

Ok here's my question.

I've been approached by a member of my workplaces security force. He found out that I am a trumpet player and asked if I'd join his band and play with them at my company's diversity week function.

We'd be playing songs like Brick House, YMCA, and others that hove horn playing in them.

This is not my forte! I'm a legit music on the stand section trumpet player and I'm not at all comfortable with being out in front of a band playing horn lines I don't even know from memory in front of 2500 or so people.

Having said that.

I'm strongly considering accepting ( I need to have my head examined)!

Thanks Alex! :shock: I guess a good teacher will encourage you to test your limits and do things that are not comfortable! I'm lucky to have the good friend and teacher that I've found in you! :cool:

How do I prepare for this? Do I just purchase the MP3's and listen to them to get the notes that I need and "Play along with the song"

I'm looking for any and all opinions.

I just don't want to look/sound like an ass!

I have to be able to pull this off because from the audience point of view I'm about as big as Maynard phyiscally; that's where the similarity's end!

So I will have many eyes on me.

Any suggestions! :dontknow:

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hey King,

Why don't you tell us first what is your level of playing and sight-reading? Are you expected to play from memory?

Nick :?:

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi Nick,

I'd assumed that I'd have to memorize my parts.

For starters I don't know where I'd find sheet music with my parts in them. Maybe someone can shed light on that for me?

As for my abilities I really don't know how to gauge them.

I'd say that I'm a solid section player; I currently hold the third section lead chair in my community band and play in my church's music section as the only trumpet so it's kinda like being a soloist.

I'm going to take a wild stab at my ability and say early college level maybe? :dontknow:

It's hard for me to gauge that Nick.

I started playing in 1978 but had a 20 year break so I'm still coming back as it were.

Hope this helps.

4. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Wellcome back, King!
    Some people prefere to play everything from memory, but I prefer to have my music sheet in front of me, even if I know the piece perfectly, in case of forgetting something in the middle of the preformance.
    As for the sheet you can try local music shop or if you prefer the net: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com . Getting MP3s or play along may be a good start. But the best is to practice to be prepared for everything - slow and fast tempos, single and double tonguings (I cannot tell if this is relevant without having the music)...be prepared for everything and everything should be OK.
    Hope this helps.
    Nick

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Johnny boy!

You ARE going to rehearse a few times aren't you?

Take a tape recorder to the rehearsal and record THEM doing the tunes they are going to play.

This way you won't learn the hits in the wrong key if they don't cover them in the original keys.

Write out the hits if you need to and practice playing them with the recording of their band. Standing up.

PRACTICE DANCE MOVES!!!

-cw-

6. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Well CW,

I did not think of the key problem. I agree with you. Good point.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Re: Suggestions for how to prepare for something out of the

I can see that section of guys who were on those Village People dates doing moves. I am on the floor laughing at a mental picture of Faddis, Victor Paz, Lew Soloff, Allen Rubin, Eal Garnder and me in those seventies band costumes :roll: There are some tough licks in those charts......Macho Man is a chop buster!
    Wilmer

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Great idea, Chuck. John...yes, listening to those charts and others (Earth, Wind and Fire, Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Phil Collins from Hello, I Must Be Going (Pheonox horns are on there), Tower of Power to name a few) will also give you a bead on the sound and style you need.

As far as getting the music...I was always under the impression that was the band's responsibility, but, in my experience, that's how it ususally goes...that's why I think that. I would ask the band leader for suggestions. Maybe they can tell you keys, at least, if they don't have parts for you to play from. Sounds like a fun gig!

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    See John? It is possible and I think you would have such a fun time doing it!

Definitely follow all of the advice given here. The keys of the songs are very important, so make sure to get at least that much and the play list out of the band leader. Did they have a trumpeter before? Maybe consider that a resource.

And remember those dance moves....... ;-)

10. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    tell them that if they've got the chart, you can play it. go have fun.

dj