Suggestions for how to prepare for something out of the Norm

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    Hi Kinghornplayer,

My praise team (Hispanic Baptist church-lots of salsa) all play by ear (keyboard, bass, lead guitar, drums, violin and 4 vocalists) and here I come, the gringo trumpet player, to join in.

What I do at rehearsal is record clean versions of the songs after they agree on the key, and then I use Noteworthy Composer (shareware - but well worth the registration price for me) to write out my parts. I usually write out the full melody line and then "noodle around" my accent parts until I get something that I like.

Now that I've played with them for a year, I feel more confident throwing something in on the fly, but with the prefered vocal keys (I almost always end up with 4 or 5 sharps in the key signature) I really like to have the sheet music handy for reference.

Lots of work at first, generating your own part, but it gets easier and you really know how you fit into the group's sound.

Buena suerte,

Greg

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks gang,

All very good advice and noted.

The band does not have a trumpet player I'll be their first.

Dance moves; you must be kidding! :shock:

Watching me attempting anything approaching a dance move is like watching two monkeys try to hump a football! :shock: :shock:

This is way out on the fringe for me; I can't even believe that I'm contemplating it.

Chuck,

Yeah I'll have 3 rehersels to get it right.

I'm pretty sure we're only talking 5 or 6 songs or so.

I think what I'm going to do is use my notation software after I figure out the key and write my horn lines in and just have them to fall back on if needed.

I'll be the only person on the stage with a music stand.

They are a typical band Drummer, bass guitar, electric guitar, bongo drums and keyboards.

So I guess I'll become a member of the Phenix City Ramblers.

Thanks for all the advice. :cool:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't forget to bring some latin percussion toys with you, otherwise you won't have anything to do on the songs without horns except dance and or sing! (one of the things I love about trumpet is not having to dance or sing).

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Please DON'T bring percussion. In the music, percussion parts have particular functions, and horn players screwing around really hurt the music if they don't know exactly what they are supposed to do. This is an issue that will lead me to murder, because the lack of knowledge it represents and the travesties committed as a result are really heinous. If you don't know what you're doing, one should (as John Locke said) sit down at the end of the tether of one's ignorance. And not to screw up the rhythm section, which in certain contexts can be far more important than anything a horn may have to do.

Michael McLaughlin

My attitude is never to be satisfied, never enough, never.
    Duke Ellington

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Would it be murder, or justifiable homicide? Manslaughter perhaps? I understand where you are coming from and view the groove as something sacred myself, but was thinking more along the lines of maracas played off mic. for the visual show rather than Timbales and the like. Considering some of the disco music of the 70’s, could some Claves really ruin it?

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    There's a band I play where one of the singers plays on a set of congas when not singing. We are careful not to let a mic anywhere near them.

Michael McLaughlin

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Learn some dance steps. IT ISN'T THAT BAD. You don't have to be Nureyev, just step in time. Either that or keep taking your horn apart and puting it back together or........ just stare at the music studiously.

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for all the suggestions gang..

I'm probably going to back out of this as the gig will be in less then 3 weeks and no one has bothered to give me a list of songs or anything.

I don't like to half/A** anything if I can avoid it so I'll most likely not do this if it gets much later.

It's a shame as I'd like to; but the last thing I want to do is get up on that stage well out of my element (I'm a music in the stand legit community band kind of player) and make a fool of myself. I'm a big guy so I would not be able to hide. And this is being done at a company function so I'd have to deal with people for the rest of my career here. :shock:

We can't have that! :cool: