Suggestions for Professional trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by msodasoccer51, Apr 3, 2011.

1. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm currently a junior in high school. My range of playing is various. I play lead in my schools jazz band, 1st when I play with our symphonic band, mainly first with our local college wind ensemble, and 1st/lead in marching band. I play everything from Haydn to Maynard Ferguson's 'Gonna Fly Now'.
    I currently play on a Blessing XL-TR intermediate Bb trumpet, but I'm looking for something a bit more. I plan on majoring in trumpet performance in college, and then will look into doing a service band of some sort in the military. I don't really know what to look for that gives me what I want for all the types of playing I do, and where I can look at getting a good model trumpet for a reasonable price. My family isn't exactly well off, and I don't have a whole lot of finances to buy a trumpet with.
    Suggestions, comments, advice?

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    B&S has high quality horns at decent prices. Check out Ivan Hunter's trumpets that have received praise on this site.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yamaha 6xxx or Xeno, Jaeger, Bach Strad, Kanstul, Getzen, Schilke are good places to start.

My suggestion is to visit every music store that you can and to play EVERYTHING. PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY!!!!!!!!!

All decent trumpets work just about everywhere, the real problem is the player behind the horn. You aren't taking lessons from any of us so we have no idea what you really need.

4. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Vintage ones too! All of the Olds models especially!

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    There is such a lot to choose from and opinions are just as varried. Im a Getzen fan ever since I toured their shop and was treated like royalty for just one stinkin horn! If you live near Elkhorn Wi. and want to make a day of it you can call them and get a tour and best of all they will turn you loose in the sample/prototype room for as long as you can stand it. You wont be disapointed and you will find a great instrument there. Great fun. Try the Mike Vax model or the top of the line Genesis. My dream horn turned out to be the 900s Eterna Classic, what a sweet instrument, and not particularly expensive. Like the man always says..play before you pay. Good luck.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hi,

As others have said, there are many good horns out there. If you are headed into amusic career, I'd stick with some of the most commonly recognized brands.

Also, buying a used pro trumpet will save you a lot! There are good deals around. Not one of my horns was brand new and I bet you couldn't pick which was used if a new one was placed next to it -on over half of them.

Would you care to give us an indication of how much you might spend. That also helps in focusing you on a horn. Obviouly Bach and Yamaha are two good brands. Kanstul also makes quite a few different models and you can sometimes pick one of them up on e-bay for a good deal. With Kanstul, unless someone damaged the horn, you know you are getting a good horn.

I'm sure you will get lots of guidance here. As others have said, visit a music store. Play a number of them. Carry a pen and note pad to write your thoughts about each down. Otherwise, if you are like me, you'll get home and start getting them confused (My son and I visited a shop this weekend and played 9 or 10 different horns -so I know you need notes). Best of luck.

7. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I'm a huge fan of Getzen also. No one makes valves that compare to Getzen except Bauerfeind, and you'll only find those on very expensive custom horns. I've had several Getzens over the years and they have all played extraordinarily well, great intonation, and those amazing valves that will never be sluggish no matter what - with a lifetime guarantee!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 to play everything you can
    +1 to buying used but try to have it looked at for problems if possible
    I am not familiar with your horn but I am sure some of the pros here are...
    What is it you don't like about your current horn?

9. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    Well, for one, it's more of a concert setting horn. It's fine in concert setting, but in jazz it just doesn't quite have that phat sound to it that I want. I also want something that has a dark, rich, full tone in the lower register, and, I guess you could say, a sparkling tone in the upper register.
    As of right now, I'm guessing my horns got another 2 -3 years before I have to start making some substantial repairs to it. I've already had to replace the felt in my valves twice along with a valve cap, my 1st slide trigger, and a bent bell, and I've had some cosmetic things taken care of. The silver is also a pain in the ass to clean and keep clean. It's served me well, but I feel like when it comes to the point of serious repair, since it's not a professional model, rare, etc, I might as well invest in a better horn.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you are playing a lot you should be replacing the felts at least twice a year. Otherwise you playing on valves that are out of alignment. Again try everything you can get your hands on. Yamaha, Bach, Benge, Schilke, Jupiter, Getzen, Kanstal, Cannonball, are just a few of the good horns out there.