Suggestions for Trumpet Case Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by llangston1, Jan 31, 2016.

1. llangston1

llangston1 New Friend

Jan 28, 2016
    SE Texas
    I am trying to restart my trumpet playing after 46 years and need to repair two of the hinges on the case of my '67 Olds Recording Trumpet. The brads or pins that secure the hinges to the main case half have broken and fallen out so the top is only connected by one hinge. Is this a music shop or luggage store repair or something I can DIY? I am not sure how to remove the inner linings without damage to get to the hinge area. Any suggestions? I could not find any youtube videos or other google searches that seem to address this sort of issue. Surely someone has had to repair case hinges.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Try screws, if I'm reading you correctly...... Make sure they are short and fat enough......

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You can still get the split rivets. Better to retire the case and replace it.

Tom

4. llangston1

llangston1 New Friend

Jan 28, 2016
    SE Texas
    Retiring the case is certainly an option but If I can easily repair my old one at least it is original with the horn. Of course none of the old latch locks seem to work and I am not even sure I still have a key for them. LOL

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I recently took one of my older cases to the local shoe & luggage repair shop. One of the latches required complete replacement. I could have probably ordered the parts online somewhere and done it myself after 3 trips to the hardware store for various pieces. But the shoe & luggage guy had it done in 2 days and you have to look close to see the replacement. $25 well spent.

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    This is indeed an alternative. The only thing they can't do is reattach leather edging to a wood case.

Tom

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Most repair shops do case repairs. I replace hinges and latches all the time.

8. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
  9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So how to you set split rivets without taking the lining out of the case? This is actually of interest to me because my son has a guitar case (it was cheap to begin with - thrown in on a deal he made on a guitar) where the hinges and clasps are loose due to the rivets (nails?) starting to slip.

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You don't. You'd have to pull out the lining, set the rivets, and glue it back in.

Tom