Suggestions from Aussie Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrpRobster, Jun 28, 2008.

1. TrpRobster

TrpRobster New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    New York
    I'll be visiting Australia for 3 weeks in August. I'll be in Sydney and Coffs Harbour. What are the good places to hear Jazz and are there any music stores worth checking out? I hear there's a new Apple Computer store that's the best in the world. My girlfriends from Australia so I'll have a good guide.

-Rob

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Rob,
    A joint called the 'Basement" in Syney is a good bet - just google Jazz in Sydney - you'll get lots of hits. Many of the performances occur in places like the Drummoyne RSL Club - (RSL - Returned Serviceman's League) or Rockdale RSL (on Thursday evenings). Your lady will be likely to be able to guide you. RSL clubs are open to the general public and were established for returned servicemen to continue friendships formed during their service life - many RSL clubs have a formal Memorial element to allow fallen comrades to be remembered. Clubs have dress rules with regard to headwear and a short rememberence service is held EVERY evening at either 6:00pm or 9:00pm (depends on the local set-up) - and everyone is expected to participate in a minutes silence - taken very seriously here in Oz. Having said that - you'll find RSLs a great place to eat and drink and in some you'll find ...... Jazz.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Second the Basement and don't look past the Opera House (you can't). Some great jazz can be had in the pubs around the Rocks and Darling Harbour. Music stores (brass ones anyway) are not comparable to New York and those that do carry the odd trumpet are expensive.

Have a great trip.

Regards,

Trevor

PS For something different book a bridge climb. I did it earler this month and it's a great experience (as long as you don't suffer from vertigo!!)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

As to the price of trumpets - I buy mine on-line and have them shipped here, I know it is better to play then pay but I figure that if I get a lemon I can pass it on without losing too many 'beer vouchers' in the transaction (so far I have been very very fortunate). I bought a new Getzen 700SP from Washington Music some years ago for us$595 (+ $200 freight) and had the same horn here priced at AUS$1800.
    But the beer is good - the ozone hole keeps things warm (you might like to wear a hat) - and the Jazz is great. Come - enjoy.

Oh yes - the cure for Vertigo - Vegemite, perfick.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    August shouldn't be too hot anyway lol

8. JuJu Horn

JuJu Horn New Friend

Jul 25, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    There is a varied amount of Jazz depending on the month. It also depends on the style of Jazz you wish to see. There is a regular program of original contemporary styles at the Seymour Centre every week. Some acts are the leading players of the Sydney scene and others are up and coming performers and occasionally they have interstate players but even on the shaky nights a star or star in the making will shine through even if the whole band or ensemble is not shinning. The Basement yes, but be sure it is jazz let alone the style you might like. Unfortunately the basement has turned into a venue for any band that can bring a crowd or is willing to take a door deal as long as it is not a party band. This means you might end up at a hip hop or salsa night (not that there is anything wrong with that). There is a jazz festival in Newcastle coming up soon (2hrs North of Sydney) and also one in Bellingen (7hr north of Sydney). There are other venues and if you let us know the styles you are interested in we might be able to be more specific and also suggest players or bands to look out for. Most big events or performance programs will be available on the web if you spend some time doing the search. Happy to help you with any decisions if you want an opinion as i am sure are other OZ based or XPAT players on this site.

9. JuJu Horn

JuJu Horn New Friend

Jul 25, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Forgot to say Bellingen is next to Coffs Harbour. What a great area it is too. Enjoy.

10. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008