Summer Book Assignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vulgano Brother, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

I am a registered Ayn Rand freak. I messed up though, I read Atlas Shrugged before I read the Fountainhead. The consequence was that I didn't really like the Fountainhead when I finished it, because Atas Shrugged is so much bigger…in every way possible. Ayn Rand herself even stated that Fountainhead is merely an overture to Atlas Shrugged. I now appreciate the Fountainhead as an amazing literary achievement without trying to compare it to something else.

So definitely read Fountainhead before Atlas. But you probably already knew that…

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This is so funny. I am a huge Ayn Rand fan as well. She is also someone whom I admire and respect a great deal. Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorite novels ever. What a brain on that woman! And what a writer!

3. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The Great Transformation by Karen Armstrong

Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars and The Years of Rice and Salt all by Kim Stanley Robinson

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. If you like this you'll want to read The Baroque Cycle series by the same author. I prefer the original 3 books Quicksilver, The Confusion and The System of the World.

4. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Funny I did the same thing. I wonder how a trumpet made of Rearden Metal would sound? :-o

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Bud, you might be on to something there! Rearden metal.....:think:

Since we are not talking exclusively trumpet/art related books (sorry, with my first answer I was addressing that.....hence the heaviness of the list)

Lighter deep reading:

The Planets by Dava Sobel

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

MEG by Steve Alten (if you're into sharks and want to be scared to death)

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (no, I didn't see the movie, but the book is a great read for NYers)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  6. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Well OK then! My summer reading has been decided! Thanks PH and BB. ;-)

8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Heady stuff, you all..haha. And I thought summer was for relaxing? hahahahahah...

Okay...here's a few:

Deep in a Dream - The Long Night of Chet Baker
    [​IMG]

(though very well written, this could hardly be considered a "happy" read...)

In Black and White - The life of Sammy Davis Jr
    [​IMG]

(terrific writing and from a perspective you might not consider otherwise)

Here's a couple that, although aren't musical in nature, but are written by a musician (former Wyndham Hill guitarist - Daniel Hecht)
    [​IMG]

(Skull Session is another great read...and will scare you from the first page!)

[​IMG]

(The Babel Effect is rather heady...as the story is about a team of geniuses. Still, this guy is a very fine writer).

Alex, I think you have enough choices for several summers...haha.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hmm, I'll have to give Ayn Rand a try. If I make it through, it'll be my first experience reading a complete chick novel (those by Danielle Steele don't count, I suppose). Didn't Rush dedicate their 2112 album to her?

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand...I also have Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead. (my son had these recommended to him). Have also been to her web site (still maintained by followers of her concepts). Anthem was a quick read (under 300 pages) vs the others... and "to me" gave a synopsis of her concepts. Sure, this was way forward thinking for her time and was born out of excessive oppression of her times. Thus.. she wanted individualism at all costs. Even at the expense of others. I haven't read any of the other books, though.

I don't want to turn the direction of the thread...but just offering my take on her writing. Obviously, many others have made her books some of their favorites...