Summer Book Assignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vulgano Brother, Apr 26, 2007.

1. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Two non-fiction favorites:

Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis

Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich

The first is about competitive Scrabble and it got me hooked on the game. The second is about a complex Blackjack card-counting scheme perpetrated by several Harvard/MIT students. Both read easily and quickly and are lots of fun.

(Now that I don't have to spend any more time writing that freaking dissertation, I'm REALLY enjoying reading whatever I want).

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I started a book while on tour by Dr. Willam Bennett, the former head of education, called America, the Last Best Hope. The book gets its title from a speech by Lincoln and is a fabulous, well-written history of America from before Columbus' voyage. It's in two huge volumes and the first ends just before World war I. It reads like a movie plays. Tremendously exciting stuff that gets into more than Washington chopping down a few cherry trees. I'll be lucky if I get through this by summer's end. Don't get me wrong, it's a good, good read.

What does it have to do with playing trumpet? It gets me fired up, that's what it does. I read this magnificent story and it energizes me. It makes me feel like each of us has a role to play in the development of his or her role in creating a truly great society. Maybe playing a few scales properly will be mine. So be it.

ML

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey BB and PH (and anyone else who has read Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle), should I read Cryptonomicon first or can I jump into the Baroque Cycle right away? Thx!

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Pat! Will do! :D

6. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I picked up the Baroque Cycle books today at Strands in NYC. I'm looking forward to them myself. I'll be flying to England in 2 weeks. It will be a nice way to get started.

7. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey Everyone,
    Just thought I would add my two cents:
    Music related:
    Letters to a Young Jazz Musician by Wynton Marsalis- Very entertaining and enlightening. Wyton is a very personable, down to earth author. I loved it.
    Next on my list- Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life- Not sure, heard good things about it. Like I said didn't start it yet... but I'm itching to get to it (AP American Literature takes up a lot of reading time :) )

Classic Literature:
    Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett- Two words... great book. Some people hated this book, but I personally though it was a brillant, absolutly deep, mind boggling play. Also entertaining. Highly recommended.
    The Iceman Commeth by Eugene O'Neil- Also another wonderful play. Kinnda confuzing to keep all the characters straight at the beginning but it all evens out. Also Highly recommended.
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- What can I say, another wonderful book.

Now for some Ayn Rand:
    I love her writings. Great lady, wonderful author, and she had a dazzling intellect. Did anyone every read her Virtues of Selfishness. It is a collection of her essay along with another philosopher that echoed her theories. It deffinetly is not light reading. It's very eye opening and insightful into the thinking and philosophies of objectivism. Enjoy

Great stuff those books... now if we could only get more people to read them. ;)

God Bless
    Sam Tate

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have my copies now too and I can't put it down! It is great reading Justin. You will love it. He is a great story teller, has an incredible command of words and his style is entertaining and unique. Thanks again PH and BB!

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Sam, you have to check out the Stephenson Baroque Cycle as well. It is like Tolkien meets Ayn Rand.