Summer High School Music Programs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzdad6705, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jazzdad6705

jazzdad6705 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Greetings all,
    Suggestions on summer music programs in the US for my son? He is a rising 9th grader. Studies trumpet privately. Loves both classical and jazz, but leans heavily in the classical/symphonic direction. My son currently plays in a trumpet ensemble, youth symphony orchestra, and youth wind symphony with older High School students. He's playing at a NYSSMA level VI.

Any particularly cool summer programs for trumpet players? My son would love to do all kinds of playing, but is really hoping to continue his trumpet study and orchestral playing. He's at a somewhat young and in-between age when it comes to choosing summer programs.

We would really appreciate all suggestions and experiences from forum members.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Blue lake is also a music camp, also located in Michigan like interlochen. It is a little less serious than interlochen, but it is a lot of fun. Since you are in New York, there aren't many music camps near you that I know. You can check out moravian college in Bethlehem pa. They do a summer jazz camp that's fun.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Malcom McNabb does a summer program, but nothing wrong with Interlochen.